Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ainster Harbour

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Ainster Harbour

First time the camera has been out of the bag since 8th January. But got out nice and early this morning.

Sharon (Daisy Mae) - I hope you approve!

Anstruther (known to one and all as 'Ainster') is one of the glorious fishing villages along the East Neuk of Fife, here in dear old Scotland.

It was a bit cold and grey this morning - just how I like it.

Your thoughts and comments are always welcomed.

Ainster Harbour
    40D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8 @ 11mm. ISO100. 0.7s@f16. 3-stop GND
    Last edited by Donald; 4th February 2012 at 02:55 PM.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Re: Ainster Harbour

Hi Donald,
    Beautiful image - as expected from you. However, I've gotta say, you really need to off to the right somewhat. It would change the leading line and give a significantly different image (wet).
    Perhaps I just got up too early?
    Graham

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Donald:I am just beginning to play with black and white as a way of reinterpreting my images of old buildings; perhaps you could lend your expertise with this genre and explain your thought process in balancing the light and shadow to get to this image. In my ham handed way I would have wrecked it by over processing

Specifically: 1) I would have darkened the sky to get more cloud detail.
    2) The same for the paved causeway

Perhaps I am somewhat of a vampire and aversive to light?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Beautiful image - as expected from you. However, I've gotta say, you really need to off to the right somewhat. It would change the leading line and give a significantly different image (wet).
    Graham

Is there a word missing from that second sentence? What are you suggesting "need to ? off to the right"?

Quote Originally Posted by tbob View Post
    Donald:I am just beginning to play with black and white as a way of reinterpreting my images of old buildings; perhaps you could lend your expertise with this genre and explain your thought process in balancing the light and shadow to get to this image. In my ham handed way I would have wrecked it by over processing

Specifically: 1) I would have darkened the sky to get more cloud detail.
    2) The same for the paved causeway

Perhaps I am somewhat of a vampire and aversive to light?
    Trevor

I don't think there is anything wrong at all with the approach to this image that entered your head. I tell myself that what I'm doing is more subtle. That doesn't mean, in my mind, better or worse. It just means different.

For some time now, one of the 'old masters' whose work I have admired enormously is Paul Strand. I recently bought a copy of 'Paul Strand: Sixty Years of Photographs', Aperture Foundation, New York. 1976.

Much of his work is about that sort of subtlety and does not feature extreme contrasts. Michael Freeman, in 'The Complete Guide to Black & White Digital Photography', ILEX, East Sussex. 2009, describes Strand's work thus: "... other photographers dwelled much more on the grays, from dark-gray to light-gray. This reflected both their preferred subject matter and an aesthetic in which subtle nuances between gray tones, well distinguished one from another, were highly regarded (p146).

That sort of sums up what I am having the temerity/cheek/hard-neck to try and do. Not because I can match the quality of Strand, but because it appeals to me.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Thanks for the response Donald; I was hoping you would part the clouds of confusion surrounding my attempts at black and white. So now it's a matter of artistic interpretation and temperment? Just as I feared! Now I am forced to strike out on my own and rely on my judgement. A risky proposition at the best of times.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

So now it's a matter of artistic interpretation and temperment?
    That cuts through all my waffle and sums it up perfectly. That is exactly what it is

Just as I feared! Now I am forced to strike out on my own and rely on my judgement. A risky proposition at the best of times.
    Not at all. Think of it as an exciting opportunity to let your creative juices start flowing. And, seriously, it's not so much your judgement as it is your vision.

Real Name
    Sharon

I do approve Donald...very much so!

It is refreshing to see a shot where the lighthouse plays a supporting role instead of being the focus. I like the grand sweep of the harbour wall and the way you have brought out the textures of the stone but not at the expense of the overall lines and composition.

Mono works nicely to convey the cold temperature of asn Ainster morning.

Real Name
    Mal

Really nice Donald. Love that perspective, and the way the lines lead you to the lighthouse. I think the textures in the rock wall look great and there's a real subtleness to the water and sky - there's enough detail to keep those areas interesting but you're drawn back to the lines along the wall up to the light house.

You need to get that camera out more often!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thanks you Sharon and Mal for commenting. Sharon - I'm glad that I've met with the approval of the locals!

I have to confess to being very happy with this image. I feel I have managed to produce something that has some merit.

Real Name
    Tommy

I like the simplicity of this image Donald and your subtleness of processing.

I am not wholly convinced that the horizon is perfectly level though. Unless it's an optical illusion, or a bit of lens distortion, I just feel it needs a miniscule clockwise rotation. Could be wrong though!

Good stuff. Always love to see your images. Although I never ever produce images like you, I find you a huge source of inspiration. If I am struggling, I sometimes look at landscapes and imagine how you would go about capturing them in your square, B&W style. It's nice to hear where you gained your inspiration - I maye take a look at some of Strand's work myself. But I am very frond of your style

Real Name
    Dave

Really nice shot, Donald.

I like the detail in the paving but just as the eye is running out of things to look at, it finds the bollards and taken to the end of the breakwater and towards the lighthouse.

Dave

Real Name
    Sharon

Quote Originally Posted by RockNGoalStar View Post
    I like the simplicity of this image Donald and your subtleness of processing.

I am not wholly convinced that the horizon is perfectly level though. Unless it's an optical illusion, or a bit of lens distortion, I just feel it needs a miniscule clockwise rotation.
    ....erm no...do I detect bad blood ?

It's a cracking shot. and the horizon is spot on
    Last edited by Daisy Mae; 6th February 2012 at 08:45 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Sharon

There's a problem! Tommy's right. It's the benefit of youth - better eyesight.

I've just loaded the GIMP file and blown it up to a large size and put a horizontal ruler on it. And woe betide, it does need a clockwise tweak.

But, claiming artistic licence, I don't think I'll touch it. I'm going to reflect on this and get over the anger of my own stupidity in letting it be finished and put up here without checking that I'd got it right. Then maybe I'll need to re-process the last few steps in the workflow.

Real Name
    Tommy

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it though Donald

If there's any danger of that then just make it a double before bed

@Sharon, there's not a ml of bad blood in my body
    Last edited by RockNGoalStar; 6th February 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I've corrected it and the version now on my own website is, I think/hope. correct.

Just angry at making such a basic mistake.

But I still like it. I think it's one of my best. Like you said, Tommy, it's the simplicity of it that I saw as I lined it up.
    Last edited by Donald; 6th February 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Real Name
    Sharon

Well if you are happy.

I loved it.,,,and if there was a favourite button...I would have pressed it.

Real Name
    Pierre

Donald, I see and understand what you are trying to show with this image. It reminds me a little of the 60's images of b&W that I grew up with.
    I also think this would be a good candidate for a "natural" HDR image bringing out more of the dynamic range. So your original shot has left this image open to more than one way of processing.

You know what else would be kind of cool. If you can go back there, bring a step ladder with you. Elevate yourself and shoot aiming downward. the difference in perspective may be interesting.