Thread: Mt. Edgecomb Alaska

Real Name
    Roger

Mt. Edgecomb Alaska

Mt. Edgecomb Alaska

Taken with a P&S Olympus 720SW early morning from a cruise ship coming into port at Sitka, Alaska, USA. Grainy yes, wish I had a better camera, which I have now.
    Last edited by Milehighguy; 4th February 2012 at 04:24 PM.

Re: Mt. Edgecomb Alaska

Showing OK for me now, Roger.

Just one thing about this scene is that I wonder if there is too much dark foreground which is grabbing my attention and overwhelming the more delicate texture of the mountain?

If cropping from the bottom also means taking too much from the sides to keep the same ratio, I would also consider using a different ratio; maybe something like 2 x 1 as an alternative.

Real Name
    John

Hi Roger,
    I like the picture, it looks even better when viewed in the zoomed mode. Well done and welcome to CiC.

Real Name
    Roger

Geoff, point well taken. I agree with the formating suggestion. In part the composition works if you back up and consider the 1/3 rule with the very dark band, lighter band and then the land band. I would have liked to have composed as you suggest, too, but the limitations of the camera and resulting picture never was satisfactory. I've got a much better camera now which should provide for more flexiblity in the final product.

Real Name
    Roger

John, thanks. It's great to be visiting with good people from around the globe. I'm looking out the window now at 16 inches of new snow on the ground; up from 0 inches here on the plains. Great day for the 'powder people' sking in the mountains. Good day for a walk with the camera.

Real Name
    John

Hi Roger,
    funny you should mention snow; we are expecting heavy snow overnight tonight. You may of read in the Press, here in the UK everything normally, nearly comes to a stop when we have snow, but as you say for people like us it's a good time to get the camera out. Look forward to seeing more of your work as the weeks go on.
    John

Real Name
    Roger

Geoff and John ... between the two of you I'm experimenting with something close to a 2::1 ratio ala zoomed effect which seems to be working. I play with this a bit. These are helpful comments and it great to have some interested eyes to help my learning and seeing. Regards to both of you.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Good grief, that's a spectacular image. How did I miss it?

A comment if I may, Roger.

I think 2:1 loses too much of the foreground. I think retaining a bit of that dark area would be good. What about a 16:9 ratio? 2:1 would put the horizon on half way. 16:9 keeps it above the half-way line

Real Name
    Roger

Donald ... thanks for the welcome and the management of this excellent resourse. From one posting, I've got some very good feedback. I appreciate your comments and am experimenting with all suggestions. Once I get a "new and improved" composition done to satisfaction, that will be posted and I would appreciate your thoughts. Best regards.