Thread: Lightroom Plug-in for Export to Picasaweb

Real Name
    Homer

Lightroom Plug-in for Export to Picasaweb

I have been considering changing my image management software from Picasa to Lightroom4. One issue that has been holding me back is that I use Picasaweb as my slideshow hosting site and I use links to my Picasaweb account in my blog.

Recently I discovered that there are plug-ins that will allow Lightroom to upload into Picasaweb. See http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/picasaweb, there may be others.

Before I get too far out on this limb, and certainly before I invest in Lightroom, though I can try the beta version 4 for free, can anyone comment on how well this combination works?

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Lightroom Plug-in for Export to Picasaweb

I don't use Picasa, but I do use Friedl's LR export plugins for both Flickr and Smugmug. They work flawlessly and are quite flexible--e.g., they have options for adding watermarks, for limiting pixel dimensions, etc.

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Homer,

I have used Joseph Friedl's Picassa plugin a lot from Lightroom 3. I've never had a problem with it. It is much more stable than the built-in plugin for Flickr. I could not get consistently logged in with that plugin.

I have just tried the plugin with LR4 and it stills works great. Give it a go and see how you get on. The plugin is freeware. Basically if you like it then you Paypal whatever you like to Joseph and you get a licence key.

Getting started with Lightroom might be a challenge. However post up any questions here and someone will answer. Here's a quick introduction for the Picassa plugin.

To upload photos to Flickr, Picassa, Smugmug, etc, you have to create a publish service. This specifies all your settings like the pixel size and sharpening. You can even set up a publish service to a folder on your hard drive. I use this for putting images I like on my desktop.

Once the service is set-up you then just drag photos onto your publish service. When you are ready with your edits click publish for them to magically go to the right destination. If you ever change the photo then Lightroom will notice and you can just republish the photos.

The Picassa plugin will even give you options for removing photos if you delete them from your LR publish service and will download comments from Picassa and add them to your LR catalogue for the correct photo.

Regards,

Alex

Real Name
    Homer

Thanks, Alex. That was a great response.

I had some time to watch a few of the Julieanne Kost videos on LR4 today - it looks like an incredible piece of software! And, it's not badly priced, especially since I have a few students in the family. I'm going to download the beta package this weekend and give it whirl. Too bad I'll lose Sunday afternoon for a silly football party.

Go Pats!

Real Name
    Chris

I just bought (but have to install) LR3 &CS5 - I also have the LR4 beta.

If they announce the LR4 official launch close enough to your purchase of LR3, you may be eligible for a free upgrade to LR4. (Given how cheap LR3 is right now, it may still be cheaper to buy it and pay the upgrade to LR4 later.

Real Name
    Homer

I downloaded LR4 last night and worked with it for a couple of hours. It is powerful! I'm looking forward learning it better.

Real Name
    Homer

I ran Lightroom 4 for about two hours last night and it worked fine. This morning I woke up early and got at it again. It worked for about an hour and then the program 'crashed' with the Windows notification, "The application has stopped working and must close". Now it does this about every two minutes, rendering the application essentially unusable.

The version I am using is for Windows 64-bit. Does anyone know if the Windows 32-bit is more stable? If download and install the 32-bit version, what do I need to do to (if anything) to save the work created with the 64-bit version?
    Last edited by Boatman; 4th February 2012 at 01:13 PM.

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Homer,

Sorry to hear about your problems. LR 4 is beta software (not finalised and bug free). This may actually be a bug. If you can remember what you did you could try and search for similar problems on the Adobe forums help site for LR 4. Otherwise you could submit a bug report to them so they know about it.

The only real difference I can think of for the 32-bit version is that it will not be able to address as much memory. However you could try it and see if it works. You should be able to open the same catalogue you created with the 64-bit version.

Alex

Real Name
    Homer

Thanks, Alex.

I took a chance and downloaded and installed the 32-bit version. It seems to be OK and it loaded perfectly.It knew all the photos I had adjusted (I expected that from the metadata) and knew the ones I had put into collections. It even knew where the Jeffery Friedl plug-in was without me doing anything. Wonderful!

I messed around with some photos from 2009 that were OK but really needed some of the TLC that RAW editing can do. I built them into a collection and uploaded them to Picasa. I even tried the standard 'for-screen' sharpening and the high sharpening version. I think perfect would be about half way between them. I left it at high for now. The images are posted at https://picasaweb.google.com/homersh...eat=directlink if you are interested.

This looks like a super way of organizing, working with and posting images. I still have a lot to learn, but I am liking what I am seeing.

Real Name
    Homer

I had three odd follow on issues:

Sunday I noticed that four .mrw (Minolta raw) images I used for creating the test Picasa album are gone from my drive. Can't explain it, can't find them. The images are still on Picasaweb (first four of the series) but they are not on my computer or in the Lightroom library. Very odd. Fortunately, they are not important images but it is worrying.

Late Sunday the 32-bit version of Lightroom4 wigged out. It locked up and then would not re-launch. I launched the 64-bit version and it ran fine. Yes, I know. This is beta software.

Finally, I was really impressed with the Jeffrey Friedl Picasa plug in. However it did an odd thing, too. I ran the scan to have Lightroom4 find all my Picasa images. It did this successfuly, though it did not figure out the albums - just the images. Then last night Picasa sent out a message for one album inviting my selected contact list to view a two year old album. It turns out that this album (and about 25 others) has the 'notify of changes' box selected. The album in question had one photo included in it that came from another album entirely. I think Lightroom added it somehow and then Picasa let the world know it had done so. (Just doing my job, man!) So, I turned off the update feature for all my albums and will keep it off, at least until I stop messing around with Lightroom4 or know it's stable.

I watched a couple more videos and found some great key-stroke short cuts. Like 'o' turns on/off the mask for the adjustment brush - very nice. I'm still having difficulty understanding the library hierarchy and some of the sorting tools, but I'll get it figured out soon enough. Lightroom4 is way more complex than Picasa in this regard, but then it is a much more powerful tool.