Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Playing with matches

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Playing with matches

Hey Everyone! I know I've been scarce on the postings as of late. A newborn will do that to you. I treated myself to the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1 AF Macro Auto Focus lens and have been wondering what to shoot with it. Well here are my first real attempts.

Enjoy, comments welcome.

Playing with matches
    "I don't like where this is headed."

Playing with matches
    "Gasp"

Playing with matches
    "I feel so burned out"

This image is 3 images in a photo stack to keep the sharpness. Using CS5 like THIS

If you like what you see I have more at my new photoblog at www.michaelfarrand.com
    Thank you for viewing.

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Playing with matches

Nice shots, Mike. I see you're going down the macro rabbit hole... enjoy! It just keeps going and going.

- Bill

Real Name
    Kerry

I received that lens as a gift a few weeks ago, its pretty good isnt it, I'm having great fun playing with it? Great photos, I was going to attempt something similar, but with a single match, I do like the idea of the row of matches though What sort of set-up did you use?

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Quote Originally Posted by kezmal View Post
    I received that lens as a gift a few weeks ago,?
    GREAT GIFT!

In order to take these pictures I used:

Macro Lens
    tripod
    Matches
    Match stand/clamp (I used a Vice)
    BBQ Lighter
    8.5 inch clamp light with a 100watt reveal bulb ($7 at home depot/lowes)
    Black & White Poster Board
    Some tutorials suggest to use a flash. I decided not to as I wanted to get a burst of pictures so I could choose from the best ones. I find the clamp light very useful and versatile in this situation.
    Basically just set the shot up in any configuration you like with the matches. (tip: if you set the matches up in a row tape them together before trying to set them up in a clamp individually) Set up the tripod manually focus the lens. Set the release to burst.
    Make sure the light coming from one side is met by a reflector on the other side. ie the white poster board.
    As for my black background I shot into (not inside) a DIY Macro light box. This is just a card board box with the black poster board inside. Nothing special. It is important to note that (The black background should not have any light shining on it as it may show in your final shot. You don’t have to put the black background in a box but I would definitely use a piece of cardboard to block the light from hitting the background.
    I experimented with the ISO and speed. I ended up shooting manually at ISO 400, S:500 A:F9. However adjust and season to taste
    Take some test shots see how it looks. Then when you are ready use a grill lighter to ignite the matches. The trick is to hit the release before the match is on fire. However be careful your memory cache doesn’t run out on your burst mode by holding it down too soon.
    Here is my very unprofessional looking studio. Cheers.

Playing with matches

Real Name
    Bill S

Excellent description/tutorial, Mike!

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Great titles! Best image is 3 for me but the first was the hardest to get right and I think you did a great job. I love, love the DIY setups! Thanks for all the background on the shot. Wonderful stuff.

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    Great titles! Best image is 3 for me but the first was the hardest to get right and I think you did a great job. I love, love the DIY setups! Thanks for all the background on the shot. Wonderful stuff.
    Thank you Scott. I love my new lens. Had to try something!

Real Name
    Kerry

Thank you so much Michael My little studio set-up looks pretty much like yours LOL, minus the clamp. I will definitely take note of what you've said and have a play - with matches

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Great shots, giving me some new ideas thanks Michael.