Thread: LR3 Question

Real Name
    Andrew

LR3 Question

Hey all. I think I might be overlooking something very basic here.... Maybe I have too much on my mind to think straight. I'm sure this is possible, but can't figure out how to do it. How can I open up a RAW, and a Jpeg image side-by-side in LR3? I mean, as they're imported.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Alex

Re: LR3 Question

Hi Andrew,

Do you mean you would like to view the images side-by-side when you are importing them? I do not think you can do this until you have actually imported the two images. On import you can only show a grid of thumbnails or display a large version of a single thumbnail.

Once imported you select both images and open the compare view (press 'C'). This will compare them side-by-side allowing you to pan, scroll and zoom in synchronisation.

Do you want to do this because you have JPEG+raw for the same image and would like to compare them? This is something I have not tried (since I do not shoot both formats together) but it may be that LR stacks the two images. In this case you would have to unstack them before you can select the two to compare.

Alex

Real Name
    Andrew

The latter option is exactly what I want to do... I shoot both, and until now, I've either just been using LR3 for quick editing, or if I need to get a bunch of photos out ASAP, but traditionally I use camera RAW in CS5 for editing. LR3 stacks the two together, and I don't know how to 'un-stack' them to see them side-by-side.

Thanks! Sorry I wasn't more clear originally.

Real Name
    Ian

Right-clicking on a thumbnail in the 'filmstrip' at bottom of the screen brings up the stacking menu (at least it does on a PC)
    Ian

Real Name
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by IanCD View Post
    Right-clicking on a thumbnail in the 'filmstrip' at bottom of the screen brings up the stacking menu (at least it does on a PC)
    Ian
    Thanks Ian. All the stacking options are also available in the Library grid view using right-mouse click. You should be able to right-click on your image (JPEG+raw) and unstack them.

Alex

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks guys, but I've been trying that. That's why it seems to me that I'm missing something very basic. If I hover my cursor over a tile of an image, it definitely says "CR2 + JPEG", I just can't separate them. When I click "Unstack", nothing happens. I can always just go into 'My Pictures" and look at the two separately, but with all of the fancy things the Adobe product can do, I thought that would be one of them!!

Real Name
    Sean

Go to Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks

Real Name
    Andrew

Do they need to be 8 bit?

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Andrew,

I am not sure how to re-create your problem. I have just tried an image captured in raw+JPEG. If I try and import the photo with my current settings then I only see the raw image in the Import screen.

I have to change the preferences to enable LR to show both images:

Edit > Preferences > Import Options: 'Treat JPEG files next to raw files as separate Photos'

When I do that I can see both the JPEG and raw in the Import screen.

After import I can see both files side-by-side. I have to actually select both photos and ask LR to stack them. Then I have to collapse the stack. When I do this the two photos are shown as one in a stack.

Even when I perform Auto-stacking by capture time LR does not collapse the newly created stacks. I still have to manually collapse the new stacks it has created.

The way to know you have a stack is that Lightroom places a little icon in the top left corner of the stacked image. You must have this enabled by choosing:

View > View Options... (Control+J) > Cells Icons: Thumbnail Badges

You will then see things like this:

Unstacked:

LR3 Question

Stacked:

LR3 Question

Are you sure you have imported your JPEG photos? One way to be sure is to use the Metadata filters in the Library view and choose the 'File Type' option. You should be able to see the JPEG and raw files seperately.

If you do have both JPEG and raw then add one of each to a collection and use that as the source for the Compare view.

Alex

Real Name
    Andrew

Alex, that's perfect! That's all I needed to know! I didn't have the correct preferences set. Thank you very, very much! That helps a lot!

Andrew:

Next time a LR problem arises, try here:

http://www.lightroomforums.net/forum.php

Sorry, but I didn't see your thread until this morning (Saturday, 4 feb).

Glenn