Thread: My first photowalk...C&C are welcomed :)

Real Name
    Ravi

My first photowalk...C&C are welcomed :)

[IMG]My first photowalk...C&C are welcomed :)[/IMG]

Real Name
    Ravi

Re: My first photowalk...C&C are welcomed :)

Real Name
    Ravi

Real Name
    Ravi

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

i like the first one

Real Name
    John

I don't know why but I saw a weapon in the first shot when I first glanced at the photo. Nice images.

Real Name
    Ian

+1

Real Name
    Ravi

+1? What does this means Shreds?

Real Name
    Ravi

Thanks for appreciation. More comments on exposure, composition, angle and editing etc etc are welcomed

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Ravi

Can I ask:

1. Are these shot in RAW and do you carry our post-processing work on computer?
    2. If so, what post-processing software do you use?

I like the composition in the last image. I think the roadway provides a good strong line from the front to the back of the image. However, overall the image seems a bit 'soft' and i wondered if it needed to be sharpened. I felt that the application of Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE) on the structure at the left hand side would make the stones 'pop' a bit more and add more depth and structure to the image (which is why I asked about post processing).

Real Name
    Ravi

Thanks for comments Donald. These images are shot in jpeg and I use photoscape for post processing, had problem while uploading the photos so resized them and then uploaded, thats why was not able to maintain sharpness.

Real Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by drraves View Post
    +1? What does this means Shreds?
    Ravi,

'+1' is shorthand for "I thought the same as the above posting". e.g. the camera strap and shapes didn't look like a camera at all!

Ian

Real Name
    Ravi

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Ravi,

'+1' is shorthand for "I thought the same as the above posting". e.g. the camera strap and shapes didn't look like a camera at all!

Ian
    Hahaha, ok from now on I will try to give a caption to each pic, that would be more likeable as picture quality is not so good

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by drraves View Post
    Thanks for comments Donald. These images are shot in jpeg and I use photoscape for post processing, had problem while uploading the photos so resized them and then uploaded, thats why was not able to maintain sharpness.
    Hi Ravi,

I am not familiar with Photoscape; does is have any sharpening capability?
    Ideally something called UnSharp Mask or USM?
    This allows you to set three figures; an amount, a radius and a threshold.

The first is usually a percentage figure, perhaps with a range of 0 to 300 or even 500%
    The Radius is measured in pixels (or px for short hand) and I hope it does smaller than 1 pixel
    The Threshold is usually just a number, but relates to the number of levels (from the 255 max for an image) that the sharpening is not applied to, in order to prevent it sharpening noise

When typed out like that, some of it may seem daft if you're not familiar with how things work.
    Just ask for clarification if anything doesn't make sense.

Anyway, the main point is; after downsizing, we always sharpen.
    Typically at say 70 - 100%, 0.3px radius and a threshold of between 0 and 8.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi again Ravi,

Regarding the pictures, here are the comments I promised;
    #1; I too thought I was looking at the back of a soldier carrying a weapon (and maybe it is a Cannon ), more seriously, I like the composition, but might have allowed a little black linking across the top of the arch.

#2; I'd suggest some Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE) of the stones and possibly clone off the dangly bit from the rucksack.

#3; so nearly has the tops of the stones in shot, but not quite and arguably there's a little too much uninteresting foreground, so tilting up a tad might have solved both issues.

#4; As I think Donald suggested, again some 'LCE' on the stones and perhaps a distant figure to look at on the path would nicely complete this shot.

Overall, given you compositional and exposure skills are quite good, if you can with whatever camera you have, I would say that now is the time to progress to shooting RAW, not jpg, and also to start on some more serious Post Processing (PP). The common theme running through these is a slight lack of control of black point and levels.

Hope that's helpful,

Real Name
    Ravi

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi again Ravi,

Regarding the pictures, here are the comments I promised;
    #1; I too thought I was looking at the back of a soldier carrying a weapon (and maybe it is a Cannon ), more seriously, I like the composition, but might have allowed a little black linking across the top of the arch.

#2; I'd suggest some Local Contrast Enhancement (LCE) of the stones and possibly clone off the dangly bit from the rucksack.

#3; so nearly has the tops of the stones in shot, but not quite and arguably there's a little too much uninteresting foreground, so tilting up a tad might have solved both issues.

#4; As I think Donald suggested, again some 'LCE' on the stones and perhaps a distant figure to look at on the path would nicely complete this shot.

Overall, given you compositional and exposure skills are quite good, if you can with whatever camera you have, I would say that now is the time to progress to shooting RAW, not jpg, and also to start on some more serious Post Processing (PP). The common theme running through these is a slight lack of control of black point and levels.

Hope that's helpful,
    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your valuable comments. From now on will shoot in raw and try to improve the picture quality. Photoscape has sharpening tool but not USM. Will soon shift to photoshop, and yeah.. the weapon in his hand is canon .
    Regards,
    Ravi.

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Hi Ravi...
    Nice to have you on forum!
    Where in India are you from? And may I ask the place of these photos? AND, are you the one behind the camera or in front??? (lots of questions not related to photos...)
    Now, may be I should add, with circumsception, how I would have liked to see these...
    In the first one, I would have used a different crop to get rid of darkness in lower and right side of frame, and cloned out the person distant to main subject... I like this photo the best!
    In third, I would have tried to get some more detail, if possible, in the area of darkness right at the center of photo... It is too dark.
    In the fourth one, composition is really nice, but my eyes get distracted by big stone to the left of center, and the human figure to the right of center...
    Hope I have not been over-critical!!
    BTW, are you a Doctor?
    Take care...
    Gurvinder...

Real Name
    Ravi

Quote Originally Posted by gurvinder77 View Post
    Hi Ravi...
    Nice to have you on forum!
    Where in India are you from? And may I ask the place of these photos? AND, are you the one behind the camera or in front??? (lots of questions not related to photos...)
    Now, may be I should add, with circumsception, how I would have liked to see these...
    In the first one, I would have used a different crop to get rid of darkness in lower and right side of frame, and cloned out the person distant to main subject... I like this photo the best!
    In third, I would have tried to get some more detail, if possible, in the area of darkness right at the center of photo... It is too dark.
    In the fourth one, composition is really nice, but my eyes get distracted by big stone to the left of center, and the human figure to the right of center...
    Hope I have not been over-critical!!
    BTW, are you a Doctor?
    Take care...
    Gurvinder...
    Hi Gurvinder,
    Thanks for your comments and please dont worry about being over-critical, I love it that way . I am the one behind the camera, the one in front is my friend.
    I am from Delhi and the place is Tuglakabad Fort, went to this place last sunday for first photowalk.
    Hope to see your C&C on most of my pics,
    Cheers,
    Ravi.