Thread: Nikon or Canon??

Real Name
    Susan

Nikon or Canon??

Hello, I am new here. My name is Susan and I am a photography student. I need to buy a new Dslr and I have around $1000 to spend. I've been looking at the Nikon D5100 and Canon T3i. I was wondering if someone with more experiance could tell me which camera is better? I also want to be able to use it in the future, until I can aford a professional camera. I am also open to other recommendations on other cameras. Any advice would be helpful Thank you so much!

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Nikon or Canon??

Susan search through this part of the forum and you should find a half a dozen or more threads on that very topic. And welcome to Cambridge in Colour.

Allan

Real Name
    Andrew

You will find varying opinions based pretty much entirely on what the person has at the moment. With all the arguments for and against for any model you will find slight advantages for each in a particular price range. An important consideration has to be if you have friends with cameras, what do they have? DSLR present a pretty steep learning curve and although you can find all the information you need on the internet it's nice to have some close that can lead you through the basics. Because the DSLRs today are so close in functionality a good point to start is which one feels better in your hands. Which one is the most comfortable and you will carry around the most often? Keep in mind that a used camera from a reliable source may get you a more advanced model than new. Check out your local stores where you will get a warranty and some level of support afterwards. Happy hunting.

Real Name
    Peter

Same as above.
    Also, have a look at the lenses you might be using. The choice for a brand implies certain lenses as well (and excludes others), so you could look at specifications and prices and such and see whether that drives you in one direction or the other.

Real Name
    Lennart Elg

When you buy your first DSLR you are committing yourself to a system: You will soon have invested more in lenses than in the camera body, and the lenses have a longer lifespan than your camera body. In addition to the choice of lenses available today, you will also need to consider whether this manufacturer will still be around when you want to upgrade your camera body. Easier said than done in today´s market conditions..

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Hello Susan and welcome to CiC. I hope you'll stick around and use the forum as a learning tool once you get your system.

Like the others have suggested, once you've reached this far down the road and you're down to a shortlist of two, then it really becomes a choice of aesthetics. Which looks nicer to you? Which feels nicer in your hands? Do you prefer to have Canon or Nikon written on the strap around your neck?

Both are technically good machines and both are going to help you produce high quality images. These things are in competition with each other and for that reason, they end up doing pretty much the same things as well as each other. There are no big hidden 'Oh the Canon can do this', or 'But wait, the Nikon does ....'. They're like two well-matched competitors in a sport - it's difficult to choose between them.

And when it comes to growing your system - additional lenses, new bodies etc, then Canon and Nikon are the big two and each is going to be offering the widest possible range of options.

So, basically, you can't go wrong starting out with either of the bodies that you are suggesting.
    Last edited by Donald; 31st January 2012 at 01:12 PM.

Real Name
    randy

Welcome to CIC; I recommend consideration of the body types used by family members and close friends. Matching their body styles will allow you to borrow any specialty lenses that they may have in their kits.

Real Name
    Steven

Were you really instructed to buy a DSLR or a camera? DSLR excludes some highly capable cameras, and the term "DSLR" has been used like "Kleenex".

The best camera to buy is the one you'll use, the one that becomes part of you, goes where you go, and is an extension of both your eyes and your hand. I would not advise anyone to buy ANY camera without going to a real camera store and picking up a few models (the more the better, even older used models). What if, by chance, you had smaller hands and a m4/3 camera just felt right to you? There are really very few cameras with a single defining feature that make them unique over all the others. Fit is as important as anything. If you do this right, you'll save yourself a lot of money and angst. You really are choosing more than a camera, you're choosing the tool you'll express yourself with. In the end, no one can advise you, you NEED to pick up all you can, you'll know it when it is right.

Real Name
    Richard

Hi Susan,
    I am a Canon guy but, will admit that Nikon also makes good cameras!
    I suggest that you consider purchasing from either Adorama or B&H Photo both located in New York City.
    These two very reputable campanies usually have the lowest possible prices. If you find a price considerably lower than either of these two, it is very likely a scam...

Hi,
    But maybe there is some camera brands more. When You don't have a large budget, maybe P K5. Tons of M42 lenses, they costs almost nothing and with manual lenses You can learn much more...and If photography suits then next step to k645d.

Real Name
    Mario

I'm also considering to purcharse one of these cameras or the T2i, I don't really need the swivel screen.

As it has been already pointed there are similar discussions on this forum. They tend to say the same, basically than either camera is a good tool and the difference is minimal. However, as small as it is, this minimal difference is what matters for those of us interested in the choice.

To the OP: In case you haven't already, you may want to check the reviews of these cameras at Imaging Resource: Nikon D5100, Canon T3i.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Susan, with the exception of the fact that I'm a Nikon guy, I agree entirely with what Richard is saying. When I made my choice, one of my kids shoots Canon and another shoots Nikon. In the end, I had to pick one and given how evenly matched they are, it was almost a flip of a coin.

Now, however, I 'have' to stick with the one I choose due to the cost of the lenses and I'm happy with that.

One thing to keep in mind is that the camera and kit lens is likely to be a relatively small percentage of the total cost once you factor in memory cards, tripod, bags, filters, post processing software, and a ton of other 'must have' accessories. In the end, my DSLR is less than 25% of the total cost.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Keep in mind to that there's no "right or wrong" choice - there is a HUGE overlap between those models.

Real Name
    Richard

There is probably a larger variation amongst models within the brands than across equivalent models of the two major brands....

One thing to remember... If you buy just about any Nikon or Canon and don't like the images you are producing, it is most likely the fault of the photographer rather than the camera. I have produced very good to excellent imagery with a vast number of Canon cameras ranging from the old D60 (not the 60D) through the 10D, 350D, 30D and the 40D and 7D which are my go-to pair of cameras for every day shooting.

Buying a new camera is not a magic elixer which will make mundane images come alive. It is the coordination between the photographers eye and brain that does that.

On-the-other-hand, I really like the control system of the x0D and 7D cameras better than I like the controls of the Rebel series...

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

Hi and welcome to CIC - I'm new here too.

I'm sorry to (possibly) go against convention here, but one thing a lot of people seem to forget is ergonomics.

I know that modern DSLRs all seem to look the same, but they're really not identical, and I think it's far more important to actually pick up one or two from each manufacturer and see which one feels best for you.

I happen to like Nikon - but it doesn't make them better than Canon - it's just that I happen to prefer where the controls fall under my fingers, and the general shape and 'feel' of the body itself.

I really don't think there's much difference in quality, either with the bodies or the lenses, but this again, is my personal opinion!!

Good luck!

Real Name
    Richard

Ergonomics...

I have to agree 100% with Ian regarding choosing a camera which "fits you" and "fits your style of shooting".

I once owned a Rebel XT (350D) which I alsolutely disliked...

One of the main reasons was that the mode button was directly under my right thumb as I shot. I frequently, inadventently hit the mode button and changed the camera mode. I realize that this was user error but, it was the layout of the camera controls that contributed greatly to the problem.

It was frustrating to press the shutter button only to have the camera start cooking off the self timer. I would say to myself "Darn (actually in a bit stronger terms) I hit that button again!"