Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rain Or Shine

Real Name
    Mal

Rain Or Shine

I took this a few weeks ago. Yet another rainy day in "Sunny Queensland". I wasn't happy with it when I saw it but when I had another look at it this morning, I thought maybe... and then probably not. But I thought I'd get some feedback and see what others thought.

Rain Or Shine

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Rain Or Shine

I like it, Mal.

The B&W could perhaps do with a bit more contrast, but like how the flag leads to the swimmer.

Dave

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Tringa View Post
    I like it, Mal.

The B&W could perhaps do with a bit more contrast, but like how the flag leads to the swimmer.

Dave

I already have the contrast up to 75. I did slide it up to 100 but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. I think there B&W elements are missing a bit of punch but I can't seem to draw it out of the elements that are there.

Real Name
    Ian

Dave/Mal,

Is it my ageing eyes or is it just desaturated rather than being B&W for everything other than the flag. There is certainly colour in the swimmer. I would be tempted to 'Shop it, so that the main picture is B&W which will increase contrast, enhance the contrast a little further, and then 'Shop the flag colour back in. I might be tempted to crop the tyre tracks a bit as they lead in the other direction, and the vignette in the top left hand corner seems a bit stronger than on the others. Compositionally the flag balances the swimmer very well.

Real Name
    Al

Mal, I took a shot at drawing out some more detail in the sky (hope you don't mind). There's really not much there, but this is what I came up with. This was done with Screen and Multiply layers, along with Levels and Curves adjustments in CS5.

Rain Or Shine

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Dave/Mal,

Is it my ageing eyes or is it just desaturated rather than being B&W for everything other than the flag. There is certainly colour in the swimmer. I would be tempted to 'Shop it, so that the main picture is B&W which will increase contrast, enhance the contrast a little further, and then 'Shop the flag colour back in. I might be tempted to crop the tyre tracks a bit as they lead in the other direction, and the vignette in the top left hand corner seems a bit stronger than on the others. Compositionally the flag balances the swimmer very well.
    Your right Ian. I've just taken down the vibrance. I'll have a look a bit later and see what it looks like as a black and white with the swimmer and flag in colour. I thought the tyre tracks led to the flag but I can see how they might pull away from it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkbyte View Post
    Mal, I took a shot at drawing out some more detail in the sky (hope you don't mind). There's really not much there, but this is what I came up with. This was done with Screen and Multiply layers, along with Levels and Curves adjustments in CS5.
    I don't mind at all I did something similar in Lightroom, just without the layers and found that without getting the dark fringes around the clouds, it was difficult to draw out much detail.

The real question though is this photo of any interest or is just down right boring?

Real Name
    Mal

Okay - here's the redo. Any better?

Rain Or Shine

Real Name
    Ian

Sorry to be critical, but the saturation/vibrancy of the flag is now unfortunately lost completely.

Having the black cloud central creates a somewhat dark foreboding mood. Maybe the flag in that case should be red! Perhaps that is the story you are telling? I dont know?

Tyre tracks, yes much improved, but do the light vignettes add anything?

Real Name
    Chris

I like the first pic you posted quite a lot.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    Sorry to be critical, but the saturation/vibrancy of the flag is now unfortunately lost completely.

Having the black cloud central creates a somewhat dark foreboding mood. Maybe the flag in that case should be red! Perhaps that is the story you are telling? I dont know?

Tyre tracks, yes much improved, but do the light vignettes add anything?
    You're absolutely right and certainly no need to apologise. The overlaying of colour didn't work as well as planned so I've attempted a third edit using a different method of selective colouring.

The story itself is around Australia's Surf Life Savers who are always there carefully watching the beach, rain or shine - it's what the flag stands for.

Rain Or Shine

Quote Originally Posted by Fit View Post
    I like the first pic you posted quite a lot.
    Thanks Chris

Real Name
    Ian

Mal,

Nailed it!

The tracks lead nicely into the vibrant flag which in turn take the eye diagonally to the life saver swimmer. Hope you are happy with it too?

Ian

Real Name
    Mal

I am - I think it's a definite improvement over the original. Thanks for the C&C Ian - you helped save a photo that was likely destined for the scrap heap

Real Name
    Ian

Glad to help out Mal, sometimes a fresh set of eyes can see things differently.

Ian