Thread: Color problem when saving photos using Photoshop

Real Name
    Ali

Color problem when saving photos using Photoshop

Hi everyone,

I have been wondering about a problem I have been having when I import a RAW file in PS. I do the adjustments in Camera Raw and then hit "open object". Then I do whatever I am doing in PS, but to save the file in Jpeg, I change the image mode from 16 bit to 8 bit and then save the file in jpeg. The problem is that when I look at the final result, the colors are totally different from what I had in PS before saving, even after changing to 8 bit ( the colors look less saturated and colder). It may be a simple problem but I could not figure it out. Here is one example:

Color problem when saving photos using Photoshop

Thanks!

re: Problem in Photoshop

Hmm have you checked the colour space settings? I know wide spaces like pro might give problem going from 16 to 8 bit. Also if the profiles are not embedded and you open image from ACR as pro space (or another wide gamut space) and save it without an embedded profile if your settings are not right for that situation then it might be assuming it is sRGB when it opens instead of pro or aRGB etc which will make it look washed out. Just a guess but might be this, hope it solves the problem.

Oh I have my settings to warn me if profile missing or mismatch upon open etc, in case don't know it's under edit>colour settings. If you convert (not assign) sRGB before the 8bit convertion you should be fine. There is also option so you can include the profile even when "save for web/devices" but converting to sRGB means not needed since sRGB is often assumed. You can get away with aRGB in 8bit but any wider I personally think is not ideal and converting to sRGB is the lesser evil compared to more iq degrading things like jpeg compression (however I'm no expert so this is open to dispute).

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Problem in Photoshop

Hi Ali,

Your colourspace is still set to Prophoto. Before you convert to 8 bit, click on Edit -> Convert to Profile, and set the destination space to sRGB, and "job done"

Real Name
    Ali

Thanks, Dave and Colin. Problem fixed. I think now I have to start reading the Frasier's book on Color Management.

Until then, my question is what should I change in the ACR or PS so that I do not have to do this every time?

Also, if I am going to print these pictures, what is the best color space?

Thanks again.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by sedali View Post
    Thanks, Dave and Colin. Problem fixed. I think now I have to start reading the Frasier's book on Color Management.
    That's what you bought it for

Until then, my question is what should I change in the ACR or PS so that I do not have to do this every time?
    You could change the preferences so that you go straight to sRGB, but at the risk of losing some potential gamut. In your case I don't think that it would be a problem though, as your not making big colour shifts outside of the RAW converter. So to answer the question, just change the RAW converter to spit out the converted file in sRGB (look for a hyper-link at the bottom of the converter screen).

Also, going straight to sRGB can clip some colours - but they're mostly very subtle colours that (a) most people looking for photorealism don't notice, and (b) for the most part they're undisplayable on monitors anyway (so it's really only of benefit when printing).

Also, if I am going to print these pictures, what is the best color space?
    Oops - missed this bit. Theory and practice are different - if your doing your own prints then the wider the space the better (in theory - in practice it's debatable as to how much difference you'd see, if any). If your having the images printed elsewhere then sRGB is safest (because it's essentially the lowest common denominator). Wider spaces CAN be used, but it's VITAL that you ensure that the printshop can handle them before using them.

PS: What version of Photoshop are you using?

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    That's what you bought it for

Oops - missed this bit. Theory and practice are different - if your doing your own prints then the wider the space the better (in theory - in practice it's debatable as to how much difference you'd see, if any). If your having the images printed elsewhere then sRGB is safest (because it's essentially the lowest common denominator). Wider spaces CAN be used, but it's VITAL that you ensure that the printshop can handle them before using them.

PS: What version of Photoshop are you using?
    Thanks a lot, Colin. As always very helpful. I need these bits and pieces of real world problems so that when I start reading the book it sticks to my mind. Also this is the best way for me to start the book from the middle. I don't like to start reading from the first page...

I usually use the online printshops, Snapfish and also Mpix. I have been actually thinking of printing them at home myself but I can't find a good printer (I just know this is one of those rare cases that you can't go by price or brand and teh result can be very disappointing even with the best brands and I do not know any mid range brand/models). Besides, I still think it can get very expensive printing them myself with the ink and paper expenses.

And finally, I use Photoshpop CS4.

Thanks again.

Real Name

And finally, I use Photoshpop CS4.
    The reason I asked, is if you haven't got Real World Camera RAW with CS4, then that's another must have (same outfit as RWCM). (Jeff Schewe and Bruce Fraser is/was Adobe insiders) (infact contracted to Adobe to consult on aspects of ACR design).

Real Name
    Ali

The reason I asked, is if you haven't got Real World Camera RAW with CS4, then that's another must have (same outfit as RWCM). (Jeff Schewe and Bruce Fraser is/was Adobe insiders) (infact contracted to Adobe to consult on aspects of ACR design).
    I have that one, just have to start reading it. Although I am not sure if it is for CS3 or CS4.

Real Name

I have that one, just have to start reading it. Although I am not sure if it is for CS3 or CS4.
    Reading the front cover might help you identify it

Real Name
    Ali

Reading the front cover might help you identify it
    I have to start from the cover then
    No, when I wrote that I was at work... But thanks!

Re: Color problem when saving photos using Photoshop

Hi all,

this is my color profile, is there any problem with that? enlighten me please

http://img263.imageshack.us/content....lorprofile.jpg

Best.
    Kremos

Real Name

Re: Color problem when saving photos using Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by Kremos View Post
    Hi all,

this is my color profile, is there any problem with that? enlighten me please
    These settings are fine for saving your images - displaying your images on your monitor using Photoshop - or printing the images yourself. However, if you use these settings to put the images on a website or have them printed at your average photolab then they will look darker and less saturated when viewed in a non-colour managed environment (ie for most people).

My strong suggestion is to convert them to sRGB before posting to a website or having them printed at a photolab.