Thread: From the sublime to the mundane.....

Real Name
    Ken Outch

From the sublime to the mundane.....

Compared to the excellent work posted by others, this is pretty tame stuff, a bird bath and a pot of heat stressed agapanthus. And yet it somehow caught my eye. So, okay, maybe I need new glasses?
    Anyway, thanks for viewing.
    Any comments which help me to improve and 'lift my game' would be very much welcomed.
    Old Ucci

From the sublime to the mundane.....

Real Name
    Trace

Re: From the sublime to the mundane.....

I love agapanthas, but I agree this one does look a little heat-struck. Surprised there are any flowers left at all this late in January!
    I like the general balance of your photo: good depth of field, smooth bokeh and there is nothing distracting beyond the bird bath. Though I think some more vibrance to the flowers in the foreground would help lift the photo a little though.
    I think in terms of the photo-taking itself, there are two things I'd suggest thinking about... I think I would have got closer in on the aggie and tried to get some more detail within the flower or at least done some "gardening" on that dead middle stem. The other is the light... it still looked a little harsh. Maybe another half or hour later would have softened it more.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Thanks for helpful hints Trace

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I think Trace has captured all the relevant points. Having said that, I like this composition, but agree if the relative size of the two main points of interest (the flowers and the bird bath) could be changed by moving in closer to the flowers and throwing the bird bath into an even more secondary position, then it could make for a more powerful image.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I think Trace has captured all the relevant points. Having said that, I like this composition, but agree if the relative size of the two main points of interest (the flowers and the bird bath) could be changed by moving in closer to the flowers and throwing the bird bath into an even more secondary position, then it could make for a more powerful image.
    Thank you Mr D. I will have a go at that. But I am concerned that if I move closer to the miserable flowers I will lose some of the width of the bird bath which will 'crop out of frame.' Okay a home made technical term from me. But I think you will know what I mean. I wanted to have the full width of the bath as background. Maybe I should have just passed on the shot. But it is good as I have learned something from feedback
    By the bye these are not the normal agapanthus with their big flower heads, They are the miniature variety.
    Thanks for help
    Ken