Thread: Sky photo

Real Name
    Dave

Sky photo

I have been trying star photos recently.

There is clearly a limit to the exposure time before the stars start to trail and I think I may have exceeded it here.

A long way from being a good shot - more just for the record.

Details - taken about 20:20 12/01/2012. Exposure 18mm lens at f4.5, 30s ISO 400. The colour on the hillside comes from security lights as a nearby school.

Dave

Sky photo

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Sky photo

Cool shot.
    Have been trying to get something like this but the skies just have not been co-operating of late.

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Dave,

You can use the 600 rule to determine when you will get star trails.

Basically you divide 600 by the effective focal length of the lens. E.g a 18mm lens would be 600 / 27 = 22.2 secs.

You must use the effective focal length. So an 18mm lens would be around 27mm if it was a crop camera.

It is just a rough start. I am sure it matters how close to the equator you are as well since the earth is spinning faster. However I did not make up the rule. Have a search on the web and you should be able to find out more articles on star trails, the 600 rule and night shots in general.

I like the red glow on the earth in your shot. Makes it look other worldy. Was it windy? I think there is some motion blur in the trees. Perhaps try another vantage point with no moving structures next time and see if you prefer the static look over a fluid one.

Alex

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers for the info on the 600 rule, Alex and yes, it was windy at the time.

Dave