Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Penberth Cove

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Penberth Cove

Following on from my Fisherman's Cottage image here is a pano of Penbeth Cove, West Cornwall, taken from the slipway, which is still used by the remaining fishing boats today. At the top of the slipway is a man capstan, which is also still in use for hauling fishing boats up to a safe haven from frequent stormy weather.

The images were taken at 4:26 pm last Friday, so the light was fading fast, rendering the originals rather dull. I have had to employ Photoshop in an attempt to brighten the image. I would welcome comments.

Penberth Cove

Aperture: f/4.5 Shutter Speed: 1/160 ISO: 400

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Beautiful image Chris. Great detail and texture.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Penberth Cove

I wondered if it was now too bright?

That, of course, is entirely subjective, I wasn't there and didn't have the vision of what I wanted the final image to look like.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Penberth Cove

Hi Chris,

My first impressions were; bright, colourful and lacking a definite subject.

So I might agree with Donald, perhaps 1/2 stop too much Photoshop correction applied and the grass on left is super green (but bear in mind I am not using a calibrated monitor).

Regarding 'lack of a subject', I guess what would be ideal is something on the sea or perhaps something 'alive' on the ground - I'm not sure a sea gull in the sky would be enough.

It is still a pleasant enough shot; well composed and sharp, but just seems to be missing something.

My apologies that it sounds so negative, but I hope it helps,

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Re: Penberth Cove (edit)

Donald and Dave - I take both your points, so I have re-done the edit reducing saturation. I have also added a boat to increase foreground interest, however I am to close to the image to know whether I have succeeded or the addition is too obvious.

Penberth Cove

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Donald and Dave - I take both your points, so I have re-done the edit reducing saturation. I have also added a boat to increase foreground interest, however I am to close to the image to know whether I have succeeded or the addition is too obvious.
    I'm afraid it is too obvious Chris; the boat is obviously fairly harshly sunlit (distinct shadows) whereas the rest of the scene is not - at least, not in the reprocessed one where the lower saturation and semingly cooler colour temp makes it look like bright shade/hazy sunshine. If you switch between them in the Lytebox, the added boat would have fitted better in the original scene, although the whole would still be too gaudy/bright, perhaps then it could have been toned down.

I hesitate to suggest anything else,

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks Dave - you have confirmes my views. I think this may be one to give up on. I tried to find a suitable boat but all seem to be in bright sunshine. I did try to tone it down with a filter but sadly it does stand out like a saw thumb. Thanks for your help.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Chris. The important thing is that because of your efforts and experimentation, you are learning and your progress shows in the images you post. I like this image and now you have several suggestions for a reshoot to make it even better!