Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Short Person Tall People?

Real Name
    Maja or Molly

Short Person Tall People?

I am not tall... about 5'1/2" and most of the people that I find myself photographing are significantly taller than me. I struggle with getting a good angle on them because of that. I've read tutorials and watched videos of photographers shooting people where the photog is standing on a stool etc. While that is great if I happen to be carrying around a stool, I just don't typically keep one with me.

I would love any suggestions or tips on how to get a good angle, compostion etc.

Re: Short Person Tall People?

just spitballing here and dont mean to sound offensive but would it be possible to get or even create a periscope maybe then use an remote control to take shot when happy with focus other than that eeeerm higher heels???????

On rethink can you not get your subjects to come down to your level????

Real Name
    Paul

One could get quite proficient with painters stilts. That could be a tough issue to to overcome. Not likely easy to find a hill to stand on and as you say a stool is just to much gear to pack around. I will be interested to hear what ideas come about.

Real Name
    Steve

Just take photos of short people................problem solved.

The further away you are from taller people, the less the height difference shows. That means using a longer focal length lens, but it is achievable. Alternatively, have you ever considered a camera with a swivel screen that can be held higher, perhaps even above your head, whilst still viewing the screen? A third, more dramatic answer is to mount your camera on a (sturdy) monopod, hold it up like a periscope and operate the shutter with a cable (wired) shutter release. I use this last method to shoot over the heads of pedestrians in street photography, but the framing is a bit hit and miss.

Regards, Mike

Real Name
    Eugen

If you really find it difficult sometime (and I stress "really") then you can always use LiveView and hold the camera above your eye-level. Not the easiest position to shoot but if you really want it ...

Real Name
    Mike

Embrace your shortness! Specialize in low level photography! Many "tallies" have accepted taking pics from a higher level because its too hard on their knees to get down for lower shots. No problem for you! Click away!

Real Name
    Mario

Just make your subjects sit or use a longer focal lens.

Real Name
    Andrew

Why can I hear Randy Newman singing??? I agree with the earlier posts. If your camera has live view use it and hold the camera higher. Alternatively my suggestions would be to back up as far as the lens lets you and not shoot with the camera angled up. Take the photographs at your eye level similar to the way you would do architectural photos to prevent distortion. Center on the neck or high chest but keep the point of focus on the face either by recomposing or moving the focus point if your camera can do that. Have the people look somewhere else other than the camera to remove the suggestion of looking down. Good luck.

Real Name
    Maja or Molly

Thanks, guys.

But as an alternative, Molly, I often find that I'm struggling to bend/kneel down to get a slightly upward angle to give better facial angles. And I'm only average height.

I find that when photographing people it is usually better to be slightly looking up than looking down.

If you have steps leading up to the front door of homes that you could step up on and catch some that way maybe or see something that would hold your weight and would also be safe to step up on. I have also seen TV adds that show these lifts that are inserted into your shoes to give you an extra 2 or 3 inches in height. There has to be some options out there that would help.