Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Shutter count

Real Name
    Steve

Shutter count

Just checked my shutter count................WOW ! ...........51,208 clicks. That's alot of clicks since aug. of 2008.

Go to astrojargon.net and download eosInfo.exe..........connect your camera to the computer and it will tell you how many clicks.

I think i have about 1 in 50 clicks , that i keep........

Re: Shutter count

The number of clicks that a camera can take before giving problems is variable. There are average numbers for each model but in reality these can cover quite a wide range; and the newest models have a considerable advantage over those which were common only 4 or 5 years ago.

I mentioned recently that my 40D gave up with shutter problems a couple of months ago. Well, eventually, I sent it off to a repairer and replacing the shutter plus a general clean up and recalibration is going to be £140 inc postage and tax.

So I said go ahead. Although I have purchased a 7D in the meantime, a reconditioned 40D for that price is certainly worth having as a second camera; and something which I am more likely to chance under those riskier shooting conditions.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    The number of clicks that a camera can take before giving problems is variable. There are average numbers for each model but in reality these can cover quite a wide range; and the newest models have a considerable advantage over those which were common only 4 or 5 years ago.

I mentioned recently that my 40D gave up with shutter problems a couple of months ago. Well, eventually, I sent it off to a repairer and replacing the shutter plus a general clean up and recalibration is going to be £140 inc postage and tax.

So I said go ahead. Although I have purchased a 7D in the meantime, a reconditioned 40D for that price is certainly worth having as a second camera; and something which I am more likely to chance under those riskier shooting conditions.
    Did you ever check to see how many clicks you had? Just curious, mine is a 40D as well. It is supposed to be good for 100,000, but like you said , it may or may not last that long.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    Did you ever check to see how many clicks you had? Just curious, mine is a 40D as well. It is supposed to be good for 100,000, but like you said , it may or may not last that long.
    It's not really correct to say, "It is supposed to be good for ..." Manufacturers set up 100 shutters and fire them continuously until half of them have failed, then round up the number of activations to the next round number and call that the 'average' number of activations that can be expected. If you look carefully at your warranty documents you won't find any such expectation listed, it's purely used for marketing. If your 40D shutter packs up at 50,000 activations don't expect any sympathetic treatment.
    From my point of view I don't care how many times the shutter's gone clunk and I'm certainly not going to start worrying when I get to 99,900. When it goes, it goes - then you have to make a decision whether you've had your money's worth and buy a new camera, or switch to the back-up while it gets a new shutter fitted.

Real Name
    Jim

Just loaded down EOSinfo and discovered that my camera (canon 400D) is brand new! Shutter count = 0. Perhaps they only count shots that are worth keeping.