Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: River Otters

Real Name
    Chuck

River Otters

I took these photos of river otters last fall near Pinedale, Wyoming. The light was not ideal, but having an opportunity to view otters for a nearly an hour was a unique experience for me. They pulled out onto the rock and stayed long enough to dry out. Consequently their fir looks fluffy, in contrast to the slick and matted fir of an otter in the water. I would appreciate your comments and suggestions. Hope you enjoy.

Otter Family

River Otters

Otter Pillow

River Otters

Otter Canoodling

River Otters

Real Name
    Hazel

Re: River Otters

What wonderful luck - and wonderful shots too. I have seen otters twice in my life. Neither time was when I had a camera along. One of those times what I saw was a mother with a couple of kits - those pictures live on in my mental picture album.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Chuck - you've identified the key issue yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Chuck View Post
    The light was not ideal, but having an opportunity to view otters for a nearly an hour was a unique experience for me.
    You had to work with what light you had unless you were in the position of being able to get back to that location day-after-day in the hope that the light would be right and that they'd be there. I am so full of admiration.

Otters have made something of a comeback in Scotland and can be seen in many areas around the country. But I've never seen one. It's one of those I-want-to-do-before-I-die things.

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Great shots, just to see is hard, well done love all.

Real Name
    Jim

Great captures! We have otters here.I've seen them, but never had a camera with me.
    Did you shoot these in RAW format?
    In processing you can bring the exposure down a bit,add a little contrast and some sharpening.
    I had a go with your 1st shot and it looks pretty good.
    Midday sun is tough to work with.In the light you had I would have opened the lens to f/8 and dropped the ISO down.f/8 should give you enough DoF.I think f/16 is too much(might soften the image).You did a nice job.
    Last edited by Jim B.; 26th January 2012 at 08:06 PM.

Real Name
    Chuck

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. Hazel, I believe this is a mother otter with her two pups. The pups are nearly full grown, but the mother/pup bond is still very strong. Donald, I hope you get to see the otters in your neighborhood. They are fun to watch.

Jim, thank you for the technical feedback. I am a novice photographer and am looking for all the feedback I can get. I shoot all my photos in RAW, and do the PP with Lightroom. I will try to make some of the adjustments you have suggested.

Cheers, Chuck

The pictures could use some sharpening. I love the expressions on the otters faces.