Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: People pictures

Real Name
    Kim Abbott

People pictures

I don't take as many pictures of people as I would like. Because of this, I'm not as good with them as I could be. I was wondering if I could get a little input on a few pictures and see if anyone had some suggestions - either in composition, technical aspects of the taking, or in editing.

Always looking to learn more!

People pictures

People pictures

People pictures

People pictures

People pictures

People pictures

People pictures

Real Name
    John

Re: People pictures

1. Good image, tells a story, background not interferring.
    2. More of an abstract, better if more in focus and black and white.
    3. Too severe of a crop, color from light source on the cold side.
    4. Better crop, eyes and smile very expressive, color from light source on the cold side.
    5. Tight crop.
    6. Nice crop, use either the full door or the wall as background.
    7. Nice composition.

I think you have the eye for people photography.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    1. Good image, tells a story, background not interferring.
    2. More of an abstract, better if more in focus and black and white.
    3. Too severe of a crop, color from light source on the cold side.
    4. Better crop, eyes and smile very expressive, color from light source on the cold side.
    5. Tight crop.
    6. Nice crop, use either the full door or the wall as background.
    7. Nice composition.

I think you have the eye for people photography.
    Just to add what John has mentioned. Most of the photos have some lines in them - horizons or walls that aren't horizontal or vertical. They probably just need a slight rotation.

#2 doesn't really do much for me as I can't tell what the focus is so perhaps an abstract B&W would be better as John mentioned.

#3 might work better with an even tighter crop if the resolution is there - take some off the left side to give the feel of negative space being stared into on the right.

#4 and #5 the subject have lines from the wall behind extending behind their heads - best to position them where the lines around the head won't distract from the subject too much.

#6 looks good - you could probably go tighter if you wished. I'm not sure of the setting so I can't tell how much the background adds to the story.

#7 I think your subject's face needs more light reflected or perhaps fill flash. Perhaps a little less foreground too potentially.

Like John said though - you have the eye. Expressions captured are very nice which is the hard part in people photography IMHO.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

I'm afraid to say anything as your username is a bit scary! LOL

Actually, I would echo the remarks above save the fact that I liked #2 more than the others.

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Kim, hard to comment on so many pics at once! If you posted one at a time it would be easier to offer suggestions.

I like the first one. Suggestions for improvement? The horizon is a little off, but other than that pretty good. There is something about the background that seems off to me, but I can't put it into words - roughness? - might just be a relic from resizing. This is a very nice photo as is - don't get me wrong, just telling you what I would think of the photo if I took it myself.
    Thank you for sharing.