Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Can i use Tele converter ??

Can i use Tele converter ??

Hi All.. Need advise.. I am using Nikon D3100 [DX], AF-S Nikkor 55-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G ED VR lens.. i am planning to buy Teleconverter.. Can any one advice whether teleconverter can be used with this lens??

Real Name
    Trev

Re: Can i use Tele converter ??

No experience with Nikon as I'm a Canon man, but based on what I know of the Canon 1.4x and 2x teleconverters you lose 1 & 2 stops respectivley and lose the ability to auto focus with the 2x, if you can live with those limitations and you get the ok that the teleconverter works with the lens and can live with these limitations then they are a very good buy.

Real Name
    Richard

I am also a Canon guy. Yesterday I attended a presentation by a local bird photographer who showed us some absolutely stunning images which he shot using a Nikon D300 along with a AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II combined with the Nikon 1.5x converter.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...-ED-VR-II.html

I was going to mention this lens to you until I looked it up on Google and found that it costs over $6,000. WOW!

Real Name
    Peter Hilton

From memory the Nikon tele converters only work with the Nikon professional lenses. Third party converters such as the Sigma can be used but you must check the compatibility of the items via the third party website.

Real Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by TJG View Post
    Hi All.. Need advise.. I am using Nikon D3100 [DX], AF-S Nikkor 55-300mm 1:4.5-5.6G ED VR lens.. i am planning to buy Teleconverter.. Can any one advice whether teleconverter can be used with this lens??
    the Nikon USA product forum has this as a question see the link (it's the 5th question down)

the question was about the 1.4tc

question - Can this product be used with the Nikkor 55-300 lense?

Nikon's response - This lens is not compatible with any teleconverters.

even if you could you wouldn't really want to. you would lose autofocus and you would be @ f7.84 e.g. 5.6 * 1.4.

Real Name
    Nick K

check the nikon website they have a chart on which lens is compatible with tele convertors I know my 18-200mm lens is not. It says it will damage the lens, not just function improperly.

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by thequacksoflife View Post
    even if you could you wouldn't really want to. you would lose autofocus and you would be @ f7.84 e.g. 5.6 * 1.4.
    I had the idea than in this context "1.4" was an idiom for sqrt(2) and likewise "5.6" for sqrt(32). It would make sense to have focal length ratios follow a geometrical series with a ratio of sqrt(2) between successive terms and likewise for teleconverter effective focal length multipliers, then the relative aperture of the overall system would be ideally f/8.

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Hacker View Post
    I had the idea than in this context "1.4" was an idiom for sqrt(2) and likewise "5.6" for sqrt(32). It would make sense to have focal length ratios follow a geometrical series with a ratio of sqrt(2) between successive terms and likewise for teleconverter effective focal length multipliers, then the relative aperture of the overall system would be ideally f/8.
    Actually, the numbers are from the logarithmic scale to base 10. e.g. the antilog of 1.4 is 2. The f-stop settings are based on the logarithmic scale. Going up: multiply the current f-stop by 1.4 to get the next f-stop which lets in twice the amount of light. e.g. 1.4x1.4=1.96 (f2.0)x1.4=2.8 . . . . f8x1.4=11.2(f11). To get the next lower f-stop, multiply the current f-stop by 0.7 (the reciprical of 1.4). e.g. f22x0.7=15.4 (f16).

Real Name
    tom

this is my second day as a member, but here goes. i have; nikon d7000, nikon 300mm,f2.8, vr2, nikon tc2.0 teleconverter level 3. the level 3 is critical,in my opinion. i shoot wildlife photos. i shoot from 50-150 yards. beyon 80 yards the level 3 is far superior due to its aspherical design. i have used both the level 2 and 3. if permitted, i can share a photo of a bald eagle at 165 yards that turned out very well. i lost 2 stops but af works fine. about 6 months ago they were hard to find here in tennessee. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick28 View Post
    Actually, the numbers are from the logarithmic scale to base 10. e.g. the antilog of 1.4 is 2. The f-stop settings are based on the logarithmic scale. Going up: multiply the current f-stop by 1.4 to get the next f-stop which lets in twice the amount of light. e.g. 1.4x1.4=1.96 (f2.0)x1.4=2.8 . . . . f8x1.4=11.2(f11). To get the next lower f-stop, multiply the current f-stop by 0.7 (the reciprical of 1.4). e.g. f22x0.7=15.4 (f16).
    That's what Mario said, though in mathematician language.