Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: tone mapping algorithms.

Real Name
    Mario

tone mapping algorithms.

Hello.

I'm interested in understanding HDR methods from the signal processing standpoint.

So far I know the Fattal-Lischinski-Werman algorithm can be used to get the clown vomit effect, with halos and such. What about more conservative HDR?. Could you please describe one possible HDR processing work flow in terms of algorithms (Not software used!) and their parameters?.

Real Name
    Remco

Re: tone mapping algorithms.

I think most of us don't write their own tone mapping routines, and the algorithms used aren't the first things described in the docs for most programs. So that might be difficult to answer for most members here...

Real Name
    Alex

Re: tone mapping algorithms.

Hi,

I use HDR at work for analysis of microscopy images. As such it is important that I can get the source code and see exactly how it works. For this I have used, and modified, the freely available PFS Tools code. The code contains 8 tone mapping operators as referenced here:

http://www.mpi-inf.mpg.de/resources/tmo/

I only use the code that generates the HDR image. (The tone mapped images are not of interest to quantitative analysis but the combination of multiple images to increase the dynamic range of the microscope is important.) Thus I cannot comment on the tone mapping part. However the code is free and reasonably well laid out. Thus you can see how it works and also compare it to the description of the different algorithms in the papers.

Hope this helps.

Alex