Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Possibly purchasing a Used DSLR . . . which one?

Real Name
    Kathy

Possibly purchasing a Used DSLR . . . which one?

Ihave never used a DSLR before and am looking into possibly purchasing a used DSLR, which one would be a good one to start out with?? I don't want to just jump out there and buy any camera and find out I have purchased a brand that is not very good or a camera that is way over my head. Thanks for your help.

Kathy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Possibly purchasing a Used DSLR . . . which one?

Kathy

The first thing is - set your budget .... and stick to it.

Then you know what you can quickly dismiss and what you can include in the 'possible' column.

Then it's all down to personal preference and what 'feels' right (in the emotional as well as physical sense) to you.

Most folk first of all think about Canon or Nikon. But there are other people making DSLRs. And if they were useless and not capable of performing, then people wouldn't but them and they'd go our of business. So, they must be doing something right.

Maybe the best thing to do is start looking at some of the bog online traders and start looking at what brands they sell. That will give you an idea of what's out there. The start looking at the prices. Okay, these will be new prices in the first instance, but it will start to give you a feel of the price differentials between the brands and between the various models produced by each brand.

That should start helping you narrow down your range of possible options. It will help you figure out if, for example, you're going to be looking at the xxD range of Canon cameras, or xxxD or xxxxd ranges.

Once you've got those sorts of things sorted out, then start looking at the used sales section in some of those big online retailers. And remember, just because a model is out-of-date, doesn't mean its any less good than the day before it went out-of-date. I think I bought my 40D about the day before Canon launched the 50D (now itself long obsolete). I'm glad I got in before they stopped selling the 40D I love it.

The think you need to be thinking about, even moreso than the camera body, are the lenses? What are you going to want? How much are you going to be able to spend on the whole kit? Be honest with yourself. Because the costs can spiral way up very quickly. And you don't want to be left with something that is a disappointment because of how much it all cost.

Real Name
    Tom

I am too skittish to buy used equipment. But I am happy to buy manufacturer's refurbished cameras. Oddly, refurbs cost about the same price as used, but they have been brought back up to the manufacturer's specs and come with a warranty -- typically 90 days, but if memory serves, Adorama offers a 1-year warranty on Canon refurbs. I am quite happy to buy factory refurb camera bodies and lenses, and have never been disappointed -- although I should say that I have purchased third-party extended warranties on some of the products. As with any insurance, you buy it when you can't afford to cover the loss yourself. FWIW

Real Name
    Allan Short

So Kathy you are going to upgrade, that last shot was excellent of the tree. Find a make that feels good in your hands, lots of threads on upgrading here. One thing to watch for is the price, one camera chain here in Canada quite often sells its traded in cameras for as little as $75.00 off the current sticker price of the new one (used could been 5 years old and only $75.00 of the price of a new one?) remember if deal is too good to be true what is wrong. As you are in the U.S. what about buying on line from a dealer from a state where there is no sales tax. If you think processing the image is hard wait until you have to way all the pros and cons of your decision to upgrade to a DSLR. All the best like that last image.

Allan

Real Name
    Kathy

I won't be upgrading anytime soon, (unless I find a deal that I just can't pass up) but I would like to someday own a camera that I would have some more control over how I shoot a photo. Right now I am okay with my camera that I own but I thought that I could do research on what type of cameras are out there and which one would be right for me so just in case that "deal of the day" comes along I am ready to make a knowledgable decision.

Kathy

Real Name
    Hazel

I shoot with a Pentax - not necessarily because I think it is better than a comparable Canon or Nikon or any other brand - but because it is closer to weatherproof. It has really good seals and this makes me more confident about taking it in the canoe or on a camping trip. The other reason is that it fit my hands better than the other brands - it just felt 'right'. Obviously this is going to vary from brand to brand and hand to hand. Definitely a point to consider I think.

Real Name
    Wayne Conrad

I have a Nikon D60 that I bought on Craig's List as my back up camera and like it so much I do most of my random shooting with it. They can be had for around $300. Either that or the Canon equivalent. I've had good luck with used gear - the D60 only had 4000 or so shutter operations. I also have several lenses and a flash from the same source. As suggested, set your budget and fit in what you can afford. Used gear will let you get better stuff than the same cost as new.