Thread: 50D owners - pros/cons?

50D owners - pros/cons?

Does anyone here actually own a 50D? If so have you had any problems? Pros or Cons?
    please only respond if you have a 50D. Thanks.

Real Name
    Jim

Re: 50D owners only

I have owned a 50D for about 8 months now.I moved up from a 40D.I have had no issuses with the 50D.
    I purchased the 50D for the larger LCD screen and the lens microadjust features.I have only had to adjust for one lens of the eight I own.
    If you are looking to purchase a 50D for anything other than the 2 features above.I wouldn't spend the extra money.IQ,AF speed,menus,etc. are so close to the 40D that I can't see a difference.
    I hope I was of some help.
    Regards,
    Jim

Real Name
    Sean

I've had a 50D for about 7 months now, and have been quite happy with it. It requires good glass with the sensor resolution it has. I don't know that it brings enough additional features to the party to offset the increased price over the 40D, unless you are really looking for one of the specific upgrades over the 40D (Live View, high resolution LCD, 15.1 sensor, etc).

Sean

Yes Kevin, I have owned a 50d. I have recently upgraded to a 5dmk2. Prior to the 50d I had a 30d. I was thrilled with the 50d and definitely saw it as a step upwards. Perhaps I am less discerning than some of the reviewers, but I didn't think that the high iso performance was particularly bad.

You can see the photos I have taken with a 20d, 30d, 50d and now 5dmk2 on my website. It would be impossible for me to say that the photos I took with any one body were better or worse than others.

Not sure if this helps you at all?

Graham

Thanks for the replies guys,,,,having opinions of people who actually have or have had it versus alot of "i have heard" opinions is definitly better....

The 50d is less than 400 more than the 40D SO i think ill get it.

I am definitly looking forward to 15 mp and a digic 4 sensor and there is a lighting contrast control on it also that brings out fine detail that is usally blown out...I forget what that option is called...

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by dendrophile View Post
    Perhaps I am less discerning than some of the reviewers, but I didn't think that the high iso performance was particularly bad.
    I think that this is a common "trap for your players" -- it probably looks worse for a given image VIEWED AT 100% (because it likely IS worse) - but - the 50D also has a much higher pixel count than the likes of the 40D, so for an image of a given size the pixel density will be higher, and that extra noise less visable.

Moral of the story - "don't get too hung up evaluating images at 100%" (unless your printng REALLY large).

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by n0ct View Post
    ... unless you are really looking for one of the specific upgrades over the 40D (Live View ...
    40D has LiveView. I use it all the time.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    40D has LiveView. I use it all the time.
    If memory serves I thought the 40D only had manual focus with Live View whereas the 50D and 5D Mk2 both have the ability to use auto-focus.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    If memory serves I thought the 40D only had manual focus with Live View whereas the 50D and 5D Mk2 both have the ability to use auto-focus.
    I use Liveview a lot when shooting landscapes. On the 1Ds3 it's only manual focus too, but the trick is to focus first (in non-Liveview mode), and then just switch to manual - checking and refining with Liveview turned on and set to 10x magnification if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb533 View Post
    Pressing the AF-on button whilst in live view mode will cause the camera to perform a normal autofocus and lock and then it will return to live view automatically. And you can always use the live view magnification to fine tune the focus afterwards.

But you are right that whilst in live view the 40D does not have the phase/contrast autofocus of the 50D/5dmk2 (which btw is what compact/p&s cameras have).

Best regards,

Anton