Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Indestructible (almost) Olympus Mju 1030 SW

Real Name
    Adrian

Indestructible (almost) Olympus Mju 1030 SW

After posting about my "camera in the canal" incident a few weeks ago, I have been casting about on and off for a replacement to the Panasonic TZ3. The obvious choice was a TZ5 as I did like the 10X optical zoom and the general quality.

However, bearing in mind that I already have an EOS40D and some lenses, we re-thought what we want the point and shoot for. I am, I freely admit, accident prone. So is my 11 year old son who regards everything of mine as equally his....

Time passed, I dithered about with motorbikes, and in three days we are off to Sicily so a point and shoot for family use was needed to complement the 40D (which we do not always wish to lug about). As the last minute neared, I have finally just ordered the Olympus - with guaranteed delivery tomorrow (I hope).

As a back up camera, although it only has 3.6X zoom, the waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof, scratchproof design (and 2 year guarantee of all this) appealed to me. I think it can be a camera that none of us has to get precious about. Reviews on IQ seem satisfactory and it has 10Mp which is plenty. £230 including leather case and 1Gb Xd card. Would have preferred a bigger card but they were not in stock.

I will report back after the holiday with results from this camera (perhaps compared with the 40D).

Real Name
    Adrian

Re: Indestructible (almost) Olympus Mju 1030 SW

The Camera was ordered from UK Digital Cameras yesterday at about 4.30pm, and it arrived today at 10.30 am. This is remarkably good service.

Real Name
    Elie

Sounds exciting. Post some photos when you can.
    Yes, reviews say image quality is "okay."
    Shoot away in the rain is something that I have yet to try

Real Name
    Adrian

I agree with the OK remark. I have read a number of reviews of small digitals and looked at a lot of image comparisons. I have had a few little digitals and they are all compromised compared with an SLR. They are all weak in low light too.

I tend to the view that the differences between most compact digitals in terms of IQ are minor and do not matter for the purpose that this camera will be used for, which is mainly snaps. The fact that it is small and flat makes it attractive as a carry around, and the shock proofing and waterproofing is, in my view, a benefit that outweighs a slight compromise on both IQ and zoom length.

It is interesting how many compacts (including this one) are sold with massive digital zoom claims. I cannot see the point of a digital zoom, which as far as I can tell is no different to zooming in during post processing.

Anyway, as it happens, I have now designated this camera as a present for my girlfriend which ensures that it will usually be in her handbag!

Real Name
    Elie

hehehe,

Absolutely.
    If I had this cam, it would be in MY pocket 24/7.
    She ain't getting it

You can't take a picture with no camera (camera phones are still crappy even the 5mp on the N95). This Oly can stay on you all the time - no restrictions. This is to me worth a whole lot and far outweighs the OK image quality.

Real Name
    Adrian

You are missing the key point here! Girlfriend is usually glued, limpet like, to my side. Handbag, is usually glued equally limpet like, to her side. In handbag is lots of my stuff! Ownership is irrelevant as I still get to use the camera. But as it is hers she will lug it about!

Anyway, off on holiday now!

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    You are missing the key point here! Girlfriend is usually glued, limpet like, to my side. Handbag, is usually glued equally limpet like, to her side. In handbag is lots of my stuff! Ownership is irrelevant as I still get to use the camera. But as it is hers she will lug it about!

Anyway, off on holiday now!

Adrian
    You sound just like my husband ..... I always have to take a bigger handbag with me when I'm out with him

I still have an old 35mm Mju which, while I don't think had quite such "indestructible" claims attached to it, stood up to a hell of a lot over the years: I hope you're as happy with yours as I was with mine