Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Christmas decoared officine buildings.

Real Name
    Mario

Christmas decoared officine buildings.

Hello.

I'm interested in how do you guys think I could have made a better shoot of this place. The statue looks too small. I'm especially concerned for the leveled area behind the stairs which was very compressed and seems very small. I couldn't have stood much further away and to have used a longer focal length because there is a street on the left of the leveled area.

Thanks in advance.

My attempt to portray the place.

Just documentation of the surroundings in the former shot.
    Last edited by Photon Hacker; 23rd January 2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Added second image.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Christmas decoared officine buildings.

Nice shot but the building looks as if it is about to fall on its back. Perhaps do a minor verticals adjustment?

With the first shot, Mario, I think you have tried to include too much so it is looking a bit 'complicated' and it produces a slightly strange angle.

The building on the right does appear a little odd, but your verticals are upright. I suspect that shooting from a position which was slightly to your left may have produced a better angle; if that was possible.

The tall building on the right faces a rather bland sky. I wonder if a 'more interesting sky' would have produced a better result.

But as it is now, I wonder if a very slight all round crop would improve things; and try to add a tiny bit more contrast to give it a bit more 'pop'. Possibly, try a little Local Contrast Enhancement (eg Unsharp Mask at 20% and 40 radius, very approx) or, as an alternative, even a duplicate layer with Soft Light Blend Mode and adjust the opacity to suit.

With the second image, you are shooting into the light so the foreground is bound to appear somewhat drab. There isn't a lot that you can do without over exposing the sky.

But none of this is really your fault. The photography is OK with good sharp focus so you have done what you could with the conditions.

Real Name
    Mario

Thanks for all your comments.

Geoff F: Point taken. .