Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Horseshoe Bend

Real Name
    Pritam

Horseshoe Bend

Horseshoe Bend, taken from the lookout point about 8 km south-west of the town of Page, Arizona. The Colorado River contorts through this horseshoe meander before it flows into the Grand Canyon. Taken late afternoon in August 2011.

I took about 6 shots and this appeared about the 'best' to me. C & C welcomed.

Horseshoe Bend

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Horseshoe Bend

Pritam

Obviously one of the views in the world that's been photographed many thousands of times (just do a search!).

I think the challenge is being able to be on location when the light is working in your favour. And if you are a passing visitor, that may not be possible.

It is obvious from the reflection in the river, that there was a lot of detail in the sky (we can see light and dark clouds). But, unfortunately, the sky right at the top of your image is blown. Do you have another image in which the sky is not blown and which you could blend with this one?

It is an amazing geological feature.

Real Name
    Pritam

Thanks, Donald. Indeed, an amazing geological feature.

Yes, it is a much-photographed view ... and pretty much the only aspect available to take the picture from the lookout. I have another picture but I'm not sure if the sky is any better. I'll post it here and throw it open for someone/anyone here take up on your 'blend' suggestion, if at all possible. I don't have the requisite post-processing facility, nor the skill, that is required to make the blend.

Passing visitor, yes, along with multitudes of others. I just took what was available. I was lucky I had the 17-35 lens with me.

Horseshoe Bend

Real Name
    Paul

I visited Page, AZ a year ago and took a tour of Antelope Canyon. I know Horseshoe bend isnt far from the town of Page, but we never had the chance of seeing horseshoe bend. The next time we venture out there, we will make an effort to go there. Page is an amazing little town.

As for the picture, the composition is good, but it needs dramatic lighting or movement of the late afternoon sun or clouds.

Real Name
    Tommy

It is certainly a spectacular part of the world and, as a photographer, you pray that you will get the 'perfect' lighting conditions when you visit it.

Unfortunately this wasn't the case, but I think you've still got a couple of excellent images there. Thanks for sharing

Real Name
    james

It may be a well photographed image and you may have not had the best light but I think if you crop the blown sky out of the first image you still have a stunning picture . Well done!

Real Name
    Bobo

Wow