Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: NatGeo Macro Winner/500px... Interesting

Real Name
    Scott Benz

NatGeo Macro Winner/500px... Interesting

Not that it really means too much but the photo that won the Nat Geo Macro award last year has about a 75 rating on 500px and is not an editor's choice. The 75 rating is pretty good but I find it interesting that it isn't rated even higher if only for reputation. Check it out at the link below. It is quite an impressive image if you haven't seen it yet.

http://500px.com/photo/3963219

Real Name
    Steve

Re: NatGeo Macro Winner/500px... Interesting

I have no respect for national geographic.........................

Take a look at a current National Geographic Traveler photo contest’s “Official Rules” (note: the term “Authorized Parties” refers to the National Geographic Society”)

“By entering the Contest, all entrants grant an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide non-exclusive license to Authorized Parties, to reproduce, distribute, display and create derivative works of the entries (along with a name credit) in connection with the Contest and promotion of the Contest, in any media now or hereafter known, including, but not limited to: Display at a potential exhibition of winners; publication of a book featuring select entries in the Contest; publication in National Geographic Traveler Magazine or online highlighting entries or winners of the Contest. Entrants consent to the Sponsor doing or omitting to do any act that would otherwise infringe the entrant’s “moral rights” in their entries. Display or publication of any entry on an Authorized Party’s website does not indicate the entrant will be selected as a winner. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use. Additionally, by entering, each entrant grants to Authorized Parties the unrestricted right to use all statements made in connection with the Contest, and pictures or likenesses of Contest entrants, or choose not to do so, at their sole discretion. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use.“

So what does this mean? Well, for starters, even if you don’t win the contest, they can use your image anywhere they want. They can even take it and chop it up in Photoshop and make a new photograph out of it. They can run the photo in any of their magazines, worldwide. They could put it in any future story that they see fit. Basically, they can do whatever they want. Just by you submitting the photo.

Real Name
    Chris

I've seen stuff on the Editor's Choice page that leave me wondering "WTF," when compared with some of the other things I see on some of the other pages. I sometimes wonder if you aren't a paying member if you get the same look as one...but, back to the winning image. Look at the body of this guy's work and I think it is easy to see why that image won. It's clear, crisp, clean and a striking composition.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Chris - Agreed. It is a really good image. I think the story goes something like... he was setting up the shot on a sunny day with wonderful light and as he was ready it started to pour rain. He snapped a few images and there's your winner. A little luck is always welcome but his other images make it obvious this cat knows what he is doing.

Steve - I didn't know NatGeo had that policy. I agree it is not worth entering a contest regardless of the possible recognition if you have to give up all rights to it forever.

Real Name
    Mal

That is a very cool photo - no question about it.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by epmi314 View Post
    Chris - Agreed. It is a really good image. I think the story goes something like... he was setting up the shot on a sunny day with wonderful light and as he was ready it started to pour rain. He snapped a few images and there's your winner. A little luck is always welcome but his other images make it obvious this cat knows what he is doing.

Steve - I didn't know NatGeo had that policy. I agree it is not worth entering a contest regardless of the possible recognition if you have to give up all rights to it forever.
    If any of you post an image on Facebook, you might to have a go at the fine print concerning your images on there as well. Same deal as I read it.