Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: experimenting with tripod, trying to get sharper photos . . .

Real Name
    Kathy

experimenting with tripod, trying to get sharper photos . . .

My goal with these photo's are to try to take sharper photo's with my camera, so please ignore the composition I just went out and shot objects in my back yard. The only editing I did with these photo's was some auto toning in Lightroom. I do know that I can make them sharper when I edit, just wanted feedback before I did that.

I can not do any adjustments on my camera except change the ISO and the other settings such as "Landscape, portrait, ect." In the auto mode I do have the choices of changing my white balance, ISO, image quality, color options, white balance and macro. I know my camera has limitations but I want to shoot the best quality photos with the equipment that I have. My camera is A Nikon Coolpix L120. I have not been happy lately with the sharpness of my photos.

Please tell me if you think these are quality photo's in the sharpness category.

I used a tripod and the self timer on my camera, my settings are as follows.

Auto MOde
    ISO setting - 80
    Quality Image - 14m (with a star above it)
    Color Option - Vivid
    White Balance - Auto

Your help will be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by Kathy O; 22nd January 2012 at 09:40 PM.

Real Name
    Mal

Re: experimenting with tripod, trying to get sharper photos . . .

From what I can see your photos seem pretty sharp to me. Regarding your camera settings, I do know that having the settings on "Vivid" can sometimes cause a photo to be oversaturated by the camera - I've experienced this on my D7000. I'd suggest keeping your settings as close to neutral as possible and the doing some PP on a computer which has a lot more power to tweak photos than most cameras do.

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: experimenting with tripod, trying to get sharper photos . . .

Malcolm,

I thought they looked pretty sharp also, just wanted to get some opinions from some more experienced eyes Thanks for the tip on the vivid setting. This is a place for me to start, I will continue to do more experimenting with differents settings on my camera and landscape settings, once I get these details down I can then move on to prettier photos!!

Thanks for looking at my post, your advice is really appreciated!

Kathy