Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My daughter first year old pictures, Ideas

Real Name
    Erick

My daughter first year old pictures, Ideas

Hi, I am trying to come up with ideas to have a photo session of my daughter's first year. She is currently 11 months. Does any one have any suggestions or ideas, perhaps a website I can look at to have some inspiration to record this importat moment. I see most photo sessions are with white backgounds which looks ok but I would like to try something different, funny and memorable.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Erick

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: My daughter first year old pictures, Ideas

Erick

Rather than build and event around the need to photograph, I'd suggest that you photograph around any event or activity that's going to be happening anyway. In other words, don't try and create the scene. You shoot the scenes that happen.

In that way everyone will, I suggest, be much more relaxed and at ease. And your likely to get those fun-filled moments.

On the other hand, if you're talking about formal birthday portraits - well that's another ball game altogether.

Real Name
    Kerry

I agree with Donald. Informal photos of your daughter doing what she loves best, normally come out so much better than formal photos. Being a one year old she probably wont want to be told to pose, smile etc. But when she's allowed to do her own thing, with her toys and little friends, odds are you'll capture something wonderful. You could also let her have free reign on her cake ;-) Good luck.

Real Name
    Mal

Getting a one year old to do anything is always a challenge. They tend to not follow instructions very well As Donald and Kerry have mentioned, I've found with young children catching them doing their own thing often yields the best results. While it doesn't look like they're doing anything special while they're walking around, you'd be amazed at what you find when you freeze the moment in a photo. Often you'll find that something that seems ordinary can really capture your attention when in a photo - and it will be uniquely and naturally them.

I recently took some photos of my 1 year old nephew (turned 1 in November) as the request of my sister. She originally wanted to do a photo shoot - nothing posed, just candid shots in a playground - but she struggled to find the time to arrange the shoot. So instead, I followed him around my mother's house while they visited. She ended up more than happy with the random shots that were captured instead, simply because they captured his personality in a natural setting rather than a posed environment.

You'll find links to my albums in my signature either in Facebook or Picasa - look for the album called "Jacob" and you'll see what I did.

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    ken barlow

You cannot really pose a 1yr old. Sit her on the floor with one of her favourite toys ( a small one) or give her a biscuit (chocolate biscuits can provide interesting results) anything to distract her attention from you and then keep the camer clicking.
    Young children only have a short attenion span so you have keep changing the game. Just keep clicking away.
    P.S. If you use the chocolate biscuit idea DO NOT SEND ME THE CLEAN UP BILL!

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Make a great big sponge cake. Decorate with brightly coloured icing. Sit child on a large cloth (to keep the floor clean).
    Sit with camera and wait.
    Pretty much all you need to do .

Graham

Real Name
    Richard

I think that pictures of kids are the same as pictures of dogs. When I see a dog in a cute situation and if I have my camera put away, I will almost always miss the shot I wanted. However, if I have my camera laying out, with a charged battery, fresh CD card and my flash mounted, I will sometimes be able to get the picture.

Even my wonderful wife, who is also a neatnik and really enjoys eveything being put away neatly, agrees that the place for the camera is not put away somewhere in a bag, nice and neat but, out on the counter in my hallway or on one of the desks in my office; ready for a chance shot!

I would expect that the same would be true for a child. Have your camera ready for use because, THERE WILL be opportunities. However, Murphy's Law suggests that your child will actually be in more photogenic situations if you cannot get to the camera. But, that's life.

Real Name
    Allison

I had a lot of fun with my son's 1st year photo's! We did a smash cake shoot. I did take some frosting ahead of time, and spread some on his face and hands, then letting him have it with the cake, but seeing him get his actual first taste of cake was classic and I managed to get some memorable photos!