Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: External Flash Manipulation Nikond40-Polaroid External flash

Real Name
    Erick

External Flash Manipulation Nikond40-Polaroid External flash

Hello There,

I just recently bought an external flash for my camera. It is a Polaroid flash with a Nikon D40. The Issue I have is that Can't figure it out how to make the external flash work without the internal build in flash to open automatically. This might seem very obvious for most bloggers but I just starting to experiment using external flash and this really making difficult to operate the camera.

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Regards

Erick

Real Name
    Paul

Re: External Flash Manipulation Nikond40-Polaroid External flash

Need a little more info here Erick I think. Is the Polaroid flash TTL compatible (actually I don't know wether the D40 has a TTL or commander mode or not) ?
    Is the external flash have manual, auto or both modes ?
    Is the camera set to auto mode or manual mode ? In auto mode I suspect that the internal flash will pop up automatically (but I could be wrong ... )
    In my opinion the possibly the easiest way maybe to experiment with external flash is to get a set of wireless triggers. A transmitter sits in the hot shoe of the camera and the flash sits on a receiver and you can pretty much put the flash wherever you want to (50 to 400 yards away if you like depending on the triggers). I've got a couple of sets of Yongnuo triggers - pretty cheap if you check on Amazon or Ebay and really effective for their price plus they're really easy to use.

Real Name
    Erick

Thank you Bamble for your response.

I recently adquired the following flash from amazon:
    Polaroid PL-144AZ Studio Series Digital Power Zoom TTL Shoe Mount AF Flash With LCD Display For The Nikon D40, D40x, D50, D60, D70, D80, D90, D100, D200, D300, D3, D3S, D700, D3000, D5000, D3100, D7000, D5100 Digital SLR Cameras.

So I am not sure what I need to do to disable the internal flash from trigger and work only with the external. I will need to experiment with your suggestion but I would like to understand how to use external flash attached to the camera first.

Again Thanks for your advise to help me resolve this issue.

Regards

Erick

When you sy external flash, I'm assuming that you have it in the hot shoe mount? If there is a flash in there, that tells the camera not to bother popping open the built in flash unit. If the camera can't recognise the shoe mount flash, that's when you'll get the problem. If you are using the external flash unit off the camera, you have to use the built in flash to control the external unit.

Real Name
    Wayne Conrad

The flash only pops up when using one of the auto or pre-set scene modes. If you set the mode to P then the flash shouldn't pop up and you will still be in auto (programmed auto). The flash won't pop up in P S A or M mode unless you press the flash button. The hot shoe mounted flash should flash whenever it is turned on. Just turn it off to disable it. May not work well with the camera's ttl exposure, but you can manually adjust flash power and aperture as necessary.