Thread: Bryce Canyon

Real Name
    Natalie

Zion Canyon

I took this on my vacation to the Grand Canyon/Glenn/Bryce/Zion area, but never processed those shots...they are still on the media cards waiting for me.....so I decided to delve into them....(sorry, it is so dreary out side this time of year here in MD, USA, that I don't have anything brand new for right now. )

Bumped up the saturation and played with selective color and some sharpening. Had to straighten the tree on the right with warp tool as it was naturally leaning and annoyed me. The whole area is a beautiful place.

Bryce Canyon

I rather liked the leaning of this tree, so did not straighten... (it is horizontally correct as per reality)

Bryce Canyon

C&C always welcome
    Last edited by Nat; 19th January 2012 at 02:50 PM. Reason: identity of area

Real Name
    Mal

Re: Zion Canyon

Nice compositions the both of them from my perspective. That second one looks like it would have enough texture to make a potentially interesting black and white too I think.

Real Name
    Natalie

Thank you, Malcolm...will have to try that. (I think I temporarily lost the images when I changed the folder name in photobucket....oooops. I think I fixed the problem...)

Nat, I agree with Malcolm, good conposition and the B&W convertion of #2 should be fine.
    I just would add a couple of tips about #1: it is a bit under exposed, there is too "space" on the right side of the histograms. So, at first I suggest to add about +0,5 exposition and then add a bit of contrast, with curve tool or with unsharp mask tool ( something around 10%, 200px radius)
    hope this helps
    cheers
    Nicola

Real Name
    Steve

I really like the first one nat. As nicola said, it is in need of some levels adjustments. I took it a bit further and adjusted the levels---added some small scale contrast( by using unsharp mask of rad. 4 and amount of 0.40)---added some saturation using lab mode and the curves tool (lots of tutorials on this)---cloned the top left branches out (kind of quick and crude, but you get the idea)---gave it some final sharpening.................

Bryce Canyon

Very nice image!!

Real Name
    Allan Short

Nat tried a little adjustment to you shot, adjusted levels to make it a little brighter, curves in increase the red hue in the rocks, could not get what I wanted there, so took it into Veveze to deepen the red a touch, then a little increase in contrast, saturation and structure in the blue of the sky because I wanted those white cliffs to jump out. Hope it meets with your approval.

Allan

Bryce Canyon

Real Name
    Natalie

Thank you all. Some very good advice.....I can see the improvements. I especially like the removal of the branches on the left.