Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Snowy day along the Platte River just before sunset . . .

Real Name
    Kathy

Snowy day along the Platte River just before sunset . . .

Finally got a dusting of snow here in Nebraska, so I took the opportunity to stop along the Platte River and take some photos just before sunset. The first two photo's are basically the same except cropped diffferently -- Let me know which is better. The third photo I like because the tall grass says "Look at Me". I do wish I would have had my tri-pod with me, it was so cold out there and I really tried hard not to shake but I know I did. As always let me know what you think, this is how I am learning and I really appreciate the feedback.

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Snowy day along the Platte River just before sunset . . .

Kathy I like them all, that said I like images that are more down in the weeds, as they give a different view than from the standard 4ft 6" to 5ft 6". Good jog again.

Allan

Real Name
    Kathy

Just so I understand you correctly, are you saying I should be more level with the weeds or even a little below the weeds when taking the photo? Thanks for the input, Allan.

Real Name
    Allan Short

No not at all, the first shot was taken at normal height, the crop makes is appear to me to be shot from a lower height, I have a habit of liking, to take shots from a lower angle, waist height, or kneeling down and I have bad knees so it look like I have drank a bottle of whiskey when I try to get up, but I still shots from a different angle. I had forgotten that you cropped, I was thinking you had shot from a lower angle. Hope that clears it up I of the three I like #2 and #3 the best.

Allan

Real Name
    Kathy

I tried to get as low as possible, but was not dressed to lay or sit in the snow. I am glad you like the photo's and Thankyou for your insight.

Kathy

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Great shots Kathy, I like the top one best, and the bottom too.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    I really like #1. I like the DOF that the longer view of the river adds. Has the look of being shot from a lower angle. I'm just not sure about the white vignette, it give the look of a blown out sky. Maybe try negative vignette to even it out or maybe darken the edges to draw your attention into the river?

Real Name
    Reima

Hi!

Of the two i like more the cropping of the upper one. I can see the flowing water better, and i like it. The second one follows more the rule of the thirds, but still i like first better When i look the photo full screen, i think it perhaps could do some sharpening. How much did you have to crop it?

The bottom one is nice, i like it too. It's quite full, there's lots of things to look at. I think it would be better without that blurred hay in the front of the photo, but if they were unreachable, i guess there's nothing to do but to crop them. Some cloning / copying + pasting or other pp-magic could make it disappear also, with some know-how and time. I think all of these could use some post processing, but i also understand if one does not want to post process too much.

I definitely like the white balance, it gives both pictures the realistic temperature; no t-shirt day, and the colors of the sky in the last one are great.

They are bot nice to watch

Reima

Real Name
    Teresa

All are very nice images! I really like the tone of them. I like the first one best...the flow of the water makes the image more dynamic (to my eye).

Real Name
    Chris

Have you ever considered these as B&W's... I didn't think the tonal value is not varied enough for the color to hold.

Real Name
    Kathy

Chris,
    You know I like everything about the Black and White except the big black blob in the right side background, everytime I look at the photo the first thing I see is that black blob of trees. I love how the bushes and water look, maybe if I made a portrait crop and cropped out the trouble spot. Thanks for your input -- I may do a little experimenting and post a new photo later.

Kathy

Real Name
    Mike

I kinda like the first one more because it has more of a leading line in it with the opening in the ice leading straight out to the reed bush. If you take the leading line concept further and add it to your images, I understand it helps improve the image. Otherwise, I like these photos… we normally have that kind of weather here this time of the year, but… Looks like we will have a snowless winter the way things are going so far!

Real Name
    Kathy

Here is my version of the black and white, I think with the new crop my eye is not so focused on the black blob, when I look at the photo now, I see more of the grass and river -- my opinion, what do you think? I do like the first photo the best also, I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

Kathy