Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Scarno Point steps to Port Quin.

Real Name
    Ian

Scarno Point steps to Port Quin.

My wife and I stayed at Port Quin, North Cornwall, first week of January. We walked Port Quin to Varley Head one day, me without camera.
    When I saw these steps, at Scarno Point, the path and the fence (and the railings on the steps) I thought there was lots of potential crying out for some really good shots.
    So, I went back next day - sounds easy! - and took lots, some hanging out as far as I could with my legs wrapped round the railings to get the framing I wanted... so... no tripod!

I'm not sure I've captured what I saw - I really wanted the fence and winding path to stand out - but this is my best attempt, PP with my LR skills as they are at the moment. The light was quite dull so the Raw image is quite flat / low contrast.

C and C please...

Scarno Point steps to Port Quin.

This is x2Large from SmugMug, 1280x848 px
    If you want to view larger, the original - and a cropped version with no sea (not as good?) - are here: http://iancds.smugmug.com/Other/Port...#!i=1676024874

Thanks,
    Ian

Real Name
    Joanne Van Praag

Re: Scarno Point steps to Port Quin.

I Love this photo, cannot tell you why technically (not that good or experienced) but it has a wonderful dark and moody effect. The fence and path seem like a snake going into infinity.....just love it...would buy this

Joanne x

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Looks pretty good to me too Ian. I think you've captured the ruggedness of the coast well here. And the steps and fence certainly add interest.

Dave

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Ian. I think you may need a lower angle so that you can see more across, rather than down. There may not be a location where you can do that. I suspect that if you could include the horizon and some sky it would feel more complete but from this vantage point that would be a portrait orientation which usually doesn't feel comfortable in a landscape image.

Real Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by mammarazzi View Post
    I Love this photo, cannot tell you why technically (not that good or experienced) but it has a wonderful dark and moody effect. The fence and path seem like a snake going into infinity.....just love it...would buy this

Joanne x
    Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Looks pretty good to me too Ian. I think you've captured the ruggedness of the coast well here. And the steps and fence certainly add interest.

Dave
    Hi Joanne, Dave
    Thanks very much, both - I appreciate the feedback.
    Joanne: SmugMug (link to gallery in my post) does enable prints to be bought, if you really did want to..! I don't have a 'Pro' a/c, so I'm not selling / profiting from it myself.
    Maybe I should..!
    Ian

Real Name
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Ian. I think you may need a lower angle so that you can see more across, rather than down. There may not be a location where you can do that. I suspect that if you could include the horizon and some sky it would feel more complete but from this vantage point that would be a portrait orientation which usually doesn't feel comfortable in a landscape image.
    Hi Frank,
    Thanks for the feedback. I guess some of this is subjective... I tried a number of shots from different angles. Lower angle shots didn't seem to work so well to me: they didn't show the path and fence snaking away - to use Joanne's description... - so clearly.
    Those where I included the sky seemed to take attention away from the fence and path, whereas the coastline reflects some of the curves in the fence and path.
    Ian