Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

View Poll Results: What do you do with the boxes from your camera equipment?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • I keep my boxes forever (sometimes even after I no longer have the piece of equipment!)

17 42.50%
  • I keep the boxes for a long time, but eventually get rid of them

12 30.00%
  • I keep the boxes for a medium amount of time (longer than the warranty)

6 15.00%
  • I keep the boxes for a short time (but usually shorter than the warranty)

4 10.00%
  • I get rid of the box almost instantly (like once I'm sure I don't have to return it!)

3 7.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with the boxes?

Real Name
    Bill S

What do you do with the boxes?

OK - admittedly, this is a little bit tongue-in-cheek as I know this isn't anything serious... but I really want to know what the breakdown is.

Do you keep the boxes from your cameras/lenses/etc or do you throw them away?

Cast your vote! If you have creative things you do with the boxes (aside from stack them up and take up storage space), please do share! Feel free to defend your position too.

- Bill
    Last edited by ktuli; 17th January 2012 at 10:44 PM.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Re: What do you do with the boxes?

I take most of our paper (mostly catalogues and flyers) and cardboard boxes to a recycling center nearby. What's the point in keeping them?

Another option:

I keep the boxes until I sell or give the equipment to someone else - who then gets the box(es) and any manuals, etc.

I don't have to defend this position. It's no one's business what I do with them.

Glenn

PS - sorry I couldn't vote, but my option isn't in the choices.

Real Name
    Natalie

I'm with Glenn. Or if you have to send back for service, nice to have original box and packing.

Real Name
    Chris

Actually, Nikon asks you NOT to send your equipment back in the original box. I generally don't save the boxes perse, but the encasements I do for shipping purposes if I need a lens recalibrated.

Real Name
    Bobo

Kept until sold or disposed of one way or another.

But just keep buying and never selling even if it is never used.

Maybe one day...

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    Actually, Nikon asks you NOT to send your equipment back in the original box. I generally don't save the boxes perse, but the encasements I do for shipping purposes if I need a lens recalibrated.
    Who is Nikon?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I hold onto boxes for more expensive items (bodies / lenses etc). (a) It's a good place to keep all accessories that I don't use, and (b) increases the resale value.

Real Name
    Philip

Agree with Glenn NK and Colin.

Philip

Real Name
    Steve

I keep mine; one is full of books and I even made a table out of my printer box

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I hold onto boxes for more expensive items (bodies / lenses etc). (a) It's a good place to keep all accessories that I don't use, and (b) increases the resale value.
    Ditto to both (a) and (b). My 40D sits underneath my desk on top of the floor-standing computer and has the re-charger units and all disks and manuals in it.

Real Name
    Peter

I keep them. First of all to keep manuals and stuff in (makes it easier to find for me and secondly for the resale values. People are more willing to buy a lens with box than without (don't ask me why, I am not a psychologist).

Yes, I keep mine as well in order to re-package them if I decide to sell. So the buyer gets the lens or camera in its original box with the manuals and accessories and the CD, etc. I also keep the original invoice in the box so that I can find it in years to come. I don't keep printer boxes.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    I keep my boxes until the warranty runs out, then discard them, just hanging onto the instruction books and any software.

As for Nikon, I [U]ALWAYS[U] return in the original packaging. If it's good enough to ship half-way round the globe, then it's good enough to post up the road. I do not want Nikon telling me that I packaged it inadequately and will have to pay for the damage which occurred en route. The reason they ask you not to use their original box is that it obliges them to look after it during the repair and to return it in the same packaging, which is a hassle for them.

Real Name
    Robin

In general I tend to keep boxes stored in the loft for when we move house so things like my Hi-Fi and larger electrical goods are safe.

When it comes to Nikon boxes then you won't be surprised to know I have lots......in fact it's bordering on a fetish but they're just so lovely and gold and shiny and....and.....oh all right I have a problem.

Real Name
    John

I read an article recently defining a person as a hoarder or a collector and a few of the descriptions were:

1. A collector keeps things they believe are valuable and are proud to show it to others. A hoarder is ashamed of his items and will try to hide it from others.
    2. A collector will display, catalogue, and assess the value of their items. A hoarder will prevent you from seeing thier items, will lump them all together and value items based on sentiment.

http://metropolitanorganizing.com/ma...-and-hoarding/

Take what you will from this assessment, every description above can have numerous consequences and meanings for the individual taking them.
    Last edited by Shadowman; 18th January 2012 at 10:04 AM.

Real Name
    Charles

I'm with Electron, post #13.

Real Name
    Rob Douglas
    Keep for return or re-sale.

Real Name
    Peter Hilton

I have seen the box for a Nikon D90 be sold for £50.00. So all of my boxes, discs, leaflets etc are packed away in the loft in case I ever come to sell my equipment.

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

as with most of the replies, i keep all my boxes for all of electronics. I keep them with the manuels, and other things like software cd's in them so i know exactly where they are. And when/if i get ride of my electronics they go to, unless they are decent size boxes where i fold down and store away safely in case i need a box to store other random crap in, such as when i go camping, or when i or someone else moves houses. I see no point in getting ride of the boxes while i still have the electronic product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast