Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Landscape with rape

Real Name
    Chris

Landscape with rape

always tempted to use this stuff for 'structural' landscape shots and/or livening up grey day stuff, but we had a pure blue sky on Sunday and think the exact complementary colour allows an abstract approach.....but don't mind being told to bin them

Anyone else tempted into getting this stuff in the frame? Do lets see your ideas.
    Landscape with rape
    Landscape with rape

Re: Landscape with canola

Chris, you reveal your age with the title--in the modern (politically correct) world, we would call this "Landscape with Canola". (I'm embarrassed to say that a Canadian is responsible for that one!)

Shot #1. I like the texture to the foreground trees. I also like cropping photos, so my inclination would be to chop the top 20% so that the amount of blue balances the amount of yellow.
    Shot #2. This is a peaceful view. Personally, I would prefer the focus on the rape (er...canola). I don't know if the scene would allow, but I would like to see this shot with a big field of yellow in front, with some green and blue background for contrast. Mind you, that looks like an interesting path on top of the hill.

Stephen

Real Name
    Chris

Re: Landscape with rape

Just to clear up the literary and political side of things , an extract from Wikepedia:

"Rapeseed (Brassica napus), also known as rape, oilseed rape, rapa, rapaseed and (in the case of one particular group of cultivars) canola, is a bright yellow flowering member of the family Brassicaceae (mustard or cabbage family). The name derives from the Latin for turnip, rāpum or rāpa, and is first recorded in English at the end of the 14th century."

I will try out the artistic edit suggestions later

Real Name
    Chris

On the 1st shot I do not have any reserve, but here is a different crop to go in suggested direction

Landscape with rape

On the 2nd I did take a slightly wider shot and cropped down to maximise the yellow you-know-what

Landscape with rape

I like the original photos

Chris,
    I prefer the 2nd set--more in line with my eye of things. This is what makes this a great hobby, we can all disagree on what is best, and we can all be right! Thanks for sparking my interest.
    Stephen

for me the second set is more beautiful, they shout their contrast at the viewer, or in another way they loudly show the calmness and peace of the scene. Nice work!