Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Great blue heron at dawn and shells

Great blue heron at dawn and shells

I'm trying this all again so that my photos are larger.

Please give me some c&c.

Great blue heron at dawn and shells
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Great blue heron at dawn and shells

Susan, a beautiful shot of the Heron. A tad soft maybe but fantastic light. I like it. Well done on all three.

Real Name
    Clive

Susan, well done with the Heron - good light and you can see the eye. With my limited knowledge I wouldn't know how you could improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Susan, a beautiful shot of the Heron. A tad soft maybe but fantastic light. I like it. Well done on all three.
    I'm not sure what you mean by soft. Please explain, if you don't mind. Thanks for your critique, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by botspur View Post
    Susan, well done with the Heron - good light and you can see the eye. With my limited knowledge I wouldn't know how you could improve it.
    Thanks, Clive.

Real Name
    Chris

Soft would imply a focus point slightly in front or behind where you actually focused. This could be related to several things. 1. you could have a lens not properly calibrated for sharpness. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. 2. you could be using manual focus and not have your viewfinder diopter properly set to your eyes optical value. 3. in post processing, you didn't do an output sharpening.

I found that each of your three images seems to suffer from this malady, so suspect it is more likely 1, or 2.

Real Name
    Paul

Chris got to it before me and that is where I was going. It does not look far out but it is not crisp. I hope Chris's post has helped.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    Soft would imply a focus point slightly in front or behind where you actually focused. This could be related to several things. 1. you could have a lens not properly calibrated for sharpness. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. 2. you could be using manual focus and not have your viewfinder diopter properly set to your eyes optical value. 3. in post processing, you didn't do an output sharpening.

I found that each of your three images seems to suffer from this malady, so suspect it is more likely 1, or 2.
    I appreciate your ideas about my soft focus. I will check for the first two and I didn't do any output sharpening. Actually, I thought I only needed to do that for printing. All 3 are points to consider. Thanks, Chris