Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Winter's Hoar Frost Beauty

Real Name
    Allan Short

Winter's Hoar Frost Beauty

Went out to-day as we had bright sun and a very chilly night (-25C or -13F) so a good frost would develope on trees and such along flowing waters. Went about 2 hours north to a place with good water and a small water fall, it is set deep in a valley with sides that are heavy treed, so the bright sun was what was needed. This is the one that I like the best so far of the ones that I have looked at.

Allan

Winter's Hoar Frost Beauty
    Last edited by Polar01; 16th January 2012 at 03:40 AM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Winter's Hoar Frost Beauty

Love the softness of stream! I think it is a very nice photo, makes me want snow!!

Real Name
    Kevin

Nice shot, Allan

This is the first winter I've spent much time trompin' about in the snow and ice, in temps as low as -2F. Other than the battery life being a bit less (and I have a vertical grip so I dont much care), I havent noticed any degradation in camera performance. Your conditions have been more severe- you notice anything we should be aware of? Thanks,

Kevin

Real Name
    Allan Short

Well when I zoom, it is a little stiff turning the zoom ring as compared to indoor temps, alway keep extra battery in inside pocket if I need another one. I have gotten into a habit of turning off the camera, when moving from one location to another, just something I do. One thing I did notice, an had forgotten about was breathing, that is not doing it when looking through the view finder as I ice up the LCD screen and it is than hard to seen the info that comes up on it after taking the shot. It was Sunday that was cool, by to-day Monday evening it should be +2C or 35 F, weird winter so far. I see that you are from Columbus, Ohio nice country down there driven around there a couple of times while my daugther visited her mother in the Lakeview area (daugther does not own car, dislike driving long distance, as she can only stay a couple of days I dirve and get to travel to shoot).

Allan

Real Name
    Kevin

Thanks Allan,

Helpful stuff. I have tended to auto focus more when it's really cold, though I cant really say I've seen any difference in the autofocus. I had thought the really fast shutter speeds might be a probelm , but havent seen that either. Other than the condensation that you mentioned, I'm not weeing any real differences. Surely has been a weird winter- we've had hardly any snow, and that's limiting the photographic opportunities that I'm really in the mood for.

Kevin