Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cannon EOS 1100D V Cannon eos 500d

Real Name
    Gary

Cannon EOS 1100D V Cannon eos 500d

I have decided to go for one of these 2 cameras, totally new to DSLR's but ive done some research and this is my price range, jessops offering 300mm lenses with both and 4gb sandisk card, 1100D gets a bag which im not bothered about, i feel the 500D gets best reviews...any help would be greatly appreciated only problem is i need to purchase 1 tuesday as its my days off work tuesday,wednesday, thursday and want to get started !!!

Real Name
    Bob Murphy
    I have the 500d, or the rebel t1i as its called here in the states. I have no complaints at all about it. For the price you can't beat it.

Real Name
    Mario

Re: Cannon EOS 1100D V Cannon eos 500d

Hello Gary. Didn't you got any answer from your favorite search engine?. "X vs Y" is usually a fruitful search phrase and can give you plenty of reviews to get a boarders perspective of what you're buying. There is an automatically generated summary in snapsort. The T1i/500D is more recent (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/) and has a ~23% increase in sampling frequency (Pixel count) for each direction. I know which one I'd buy.

Bear in mind a DSLR may be more convenient than a compact camera or a bridge camera and can be used to take photographs in a wider gamut of situations but it won't automatically make great photographs for you.

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Cannon EOS 1100D V Cannon eos 500d

Read this: Which Camera Bundle for Novice?

The 1100D bundle is the better buy.

The 500D is a 2009 model and while it has more pixels they are worse pixels so what is the point of having them and the only advantage is the bigger screen. Personally the massive image quality jump you get with the 2011 - 1100D, the better quality Tamron lens and the extras like UV filters (and the bag whether....you need it or not) seal the deal so you'd be daft to miss out on it.

The 500D comes from a time when Canon thought they could win by giving everyone lots of pixels - they didn't as the technology wasn't ready. The 500D and the 50D had, frankly, grotty quality and it wasn't until their 18MP pixel sensor came along that things swung back in their favour. I know the headlines are grabbed by the 550D/600D/60D/7D with their better sensors but the 1100D is a cracking' machine and a great body to bulid a future system around.