Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Portrait Shoot

Portrait Shoot

Portrait Shoot
    Portrait Shoot

Real Name
    Adrian

Re: Portrait Shoot

I always enjoy portrait photography and this is probably my main interest, so I am pleased that you have posted some here!

You don't say whether you require comments but despite that I will post my reactions here:

Picture 1

The background, although nicely out of focus, is busy and distracting, especially as the verticals are not vertical in the image
    He is looking at a point over my left shoulder, which adds to the distraction and gives the slight impression that the subject is incidental to the image
    I am not sure why you decided to cut him off at knee height? It gives slightly odd composition
    The clothes contribute to a lack of contrast

Picture 2

I like the head pose
    Same problem with verticals
    Dangling hands looks unnatural (ie the pose looks forced) - so if it were me I would crop this image quite substantially
    Focus looks a little soft to me

Keep at it. Post some more. Also post some details about what lighting etc you use.

i have nothing against the back ground u choose for the model its the placement of the model in both pics,that is not gelling with the lovely backdrop we can easily label this pics as fashion photography eye contact of the model,with the viewer would have greatly blurred, or distracted the viewers,from some negative elements in the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I always enjoy portrait photography and this is probably my main interest, so I am pleased that you have posted some here!

You don't say whether you require comments but despite that I will post my reactions here:

Picture 1

The background, although nicely out of focus, is busy and distracting, especially as the verticals are not vertical in the image
    He is looking at a point over my left shoulder, which adds to the distraction and gives the slight impression that the subject is incidental to the image
    I am not sure why you decided to cut him off at knee height? It gives slightly odd composition
    The clothes contribute to a lack of contrast

Picture 2

I like the head pose
    Same problem with verticals
    Dangling hands looks unnatural (ie the pose looks forced) - so if it were me I would crop this image quite substantially
    Focus looks a little soft to me

Keep at it. Post some more. Also post some details about what lighting etc you use.

Thanks Adrian for your valuable comments...
    I completely agree with your picture 1 comments...will be careful framing next time ..
    I am still in the experimenting stage
    As you are interested in portrait photos I will post below more of the same session
    Portrait Shoot
    Portrait Shoot
    Portrait Shoot

I love natural light so all of these shots were using natural available light ( ..also I dont have any external lighting equipments except my SB-600 flash which I didn't use )
    In all of these shots as I was using natural light I have to move the model rather than the light source ..so in some shots the framing will be bad again.

I used Nikkor 50mm/1.4f , I get the "Nikkor Glow" at 1.4f and that is why I am getting a soft focus..Do you have any idea how to make it sharp right from the camera?

Picture 2 I lost the edge of the suit...would have been better If i changed the shot angle..

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    i have nothing against the back ground u choose for the model its the placement of the model in both pics,that is not gelling with the lovely backdrop we can easily label this pics as fashion photography eye contact of the model,with the viewer would have greatly blurred, or distracted the viewers,from some negative elements in the pics.
    Thanks for your comments ..I think I have to experiment more on framing ...

Real Name
    Adrian

Ok, great. Some comments on the points you raise and on the next three photos.

Focus. I have found that for portraits, if I want REALLY crisply focussed results then I have to use manual focus. I am not familiar with Nikon cameras, but in mine (40D) I use the rear live view screen, and then use the zoom view on that to check focus exactly. It is much easier to use a tripod for this (though I am not a fan of lugging lots of gear about).

I have also found with digitals that post processing is almost always necessary to correct exposure, saturation and apply some shaarpening. I use Aperture for this, mainly because I am an Apple Mac person. I am new to it, but it is excellent software in its latest incarnation.

As for lighting, I am with you. I rarely carry my speedlight around with me, and I do not own any studio lighting, so I too tend to use natural light. I take a lot of footage and move the model (most often my girlfriend - hence easily bribed ;-) around a lot to get the light and shade effects I require. often the sessions are impromptu and inspired by the scene, so equipment choices are often limited.

As regards your second set of photos.

1 May I suggest when you take a shot that you check the background carefully. In shot 1 the light shade is lopsided and my eye is drawn inexorably to it. A little more head rotation would have reduced the shading, but I would experiment with post processing exposure compensation etc to remove some of the shadowing.

2 No 2 is conventional but I would crop it closer to the shoulders to reduce the long streak of shirt!

3 No 3 is the most interesting for me as I like the horizontal lines in the background and the perspective effect created by the boards on the right of frame. The model does not look exactly super relaxed, but he conveys a certain presence. Again though, the face needs to be a bit sharper to my eye.

I hope I have not caused offense by commenting in this way and I hope too that you will post some more pictures.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Ok, great. Some comments on the points you raise and on the next three photos.

Focus. I have found that for portraits, if I want REALLY crisply focussed results then I have to use manual focus. I am not familiar with Nikon cameras, but in mine (40D) I use the rear live view screen, and then use the zoom view on that to check focus exactly. It is much easier to use a tripod for this (though I am not a fan of lugging lots of gear about).

I have also found with digitals that post processing is almost always necessary to correct exposure, saturation and apply some shaarpening. I use Aperture for this, mainly because I am an Apple Mac person. I am new to it, but it is excellent software in its latest incarnation.

As for lighting, I am with you. I rarely carry my speedlight around with me, and I do not own any studio lighting, so I too tend to use natural light. I take a lot of footage and move the model (most often my girlfriend - hence easily bribed ;-) around a lot to get the light and shade effects I require. often the sessions are impromptu and inspired by the scene, so equipment choices are often limited.

As regards your second set of photos.

1 May I suggest when you take a shot that you check the background carefully. In shot 1 the light shade is lopsided and my eye is drawn inexorably to it. A little more head rotation would have reduced the shading, but I would experiment with post processing exposure compensation etc to remove some of the shadowing.

2 No 2 is conventional but I would crop it closer to the shoulders to reduce the long streak of shirt!

3 No 3 is the most interesting for me as I like the horizontal lines in the background and the perspective effect created by the boards on the right of frame. The model does not look exactly super relaxed, but he conveys a certain presence. Again though, the face needs to be a bit sharper to my eye.

I hope I have not caused offense by commenting in this way and I hope too that you will post some more pictures.

Adrian

Thanks for all your comments ...I really appreciate your effort in doing this ..
    These comments really helps me in improving my thought process during a shoot :-)..
    So please keep posting your comments..

Real Name
    Ian

I agree with Adrian on most points and if you consider the backgrounds more carefully you will have some very good shots.

I am with you on using natural lighting too, can't beat it in most cases.

Thanks also for posting these portraits, it is an area where many of us can learn and I always feel it can be a lot more taxing using a real person rather than a static background as it adds another element to the composition and you have to persuade/encourage then to have the right look too, on top of the compositional aspects.

Keep them coming.

Quote Originally Posted by shreds View Post
    I agree with Adrian on most points and if you consider the backgrounds more carefully you will have some very good shots.

I am with you on using natural lighting too, can't beat it in most cases.

Thanks also for posting these portraits, it is an area where many of us can learn and I always feel it can be a lot more taxing using a real person rather than a static background as it adds another element to the composition and you have to persuade/encourage then to have the right look too, on top of the compositional aspects.

Keep them coming.
    Thanks Shreds..

Hey Guys
    Please comment on this flower pic.
    -composition
    -Focus
    -Contrast
    -etc