Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Biking in Boston

Real Name
    Ali

Biking in Boston

This is just for fun. I am trying to practice sharpening! Not sure if I have overdone it:

Biking in Boston
    Last edited by Alis; 24th May 2009 at 07:42 PM.

Re: Biking in Boston

There does appear to be some slight dark lines particularly around the child's arms and other problems. But you do have to specifically look for them.

What settings? If you give a breakdown of your workflow I feel sure that one of our real experts will give plenty of advice.

In some ways this photo looks, to me, like a good candidate for selective sharpening on a duplicate layer. But it will be rather time consuming.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    There does appear to be some slight dark lines particularly around the child's arms and other problems. But you do have to specifically look for them.

What settings? If you give a breakdown of your workflow I feel sure that one of our real experts will give plenty of advice.

In some ways this photo looks, to me, like a good candidate for selective sharpening on a duplicate layer. But it will be rather time consuming.
    Thanks Geoff. I was trying to apply Colin's recipe (300%, 0.3 pixel radius, and 0 threshold) but it looked frosty. So I reduced it to 0.2 and around 100% with same threshold. Then I did the 300/0.3/0 on a duplicate layer on luminosity channel only. Then I flattened the image.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by sedali View Post
    Thanks Geoff. I was trying to apply Colin's recipe (300%, 0.3 pixel radius, and 0 threshold) but it looked frosty. So I reduced it to 0.2 and around 100% with same threshold. Then I did the 300/0.3/0 on a duplicate layer on luminosity channel only. Then I flattened the image.
    Hi Ali,

I hope that I remembered to point out that you need to do capture sharpening whilst the RAW image is still at full resolution. So images will show frosting at 0.3, but not many - and I wouldn't have expected that one to.

If you'd like to send me a full-resolution RAW shot I'd be happy to process it for you and then give you all the relevant settings I used.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Ali,

If you'd like to send me a full-resolution RAW shot I'd be happy to process it for you and then give you all the relevant settings I used.
    Thanks, Colin. I just sent the link to the file to you.

Honestly, I do not really remember that much detail about what I did right now but I guess I was working on the RAW file still. Next time I have to remember what I do better.

Thanks.

Real Name

Hi Ali,

Got it thanks. I'll have a look at it in a few hours for you.

Real Name
    Ali

Hi Ali,

Got it thanks. I'll have a look at it in a few hours for you.
    Hi Colin. You must be very busy! I would love to see what your technique is...

Real Name

Hi Colin. You must be very busy! I would love to see what your technique is...
    Oops - sorry Ali - the weekend snuck up on me!

I'll take a look later on today ot tomorrow (public holiday today and I'm not around the office).

Real Name
    Ali

Oops - sorry Ali - the weekend snuck up on me!

I'll take a look later on today ot tomorrow (public holiday today and I'm not around the office).
    Colin, I am still waiting

Real Name

Colin, I am still waiting
    Opps - sorry again! I'm somewhat embarrassed - considerably richer, but still somewhat embarrassed!

Real Name

Hi Ali,

Ok ... here's my version of the shot ...

Biking in Boston

Post-Processing was as follows ...

[DNG Converter]

- Convert to DNG & Rename

[Adobe Camera RAW]

- Set White Balance to 5300 / +12

- Set Exposure to +0.4

- Set Fill Light to +25

- Set Blacks (Clipping Point) to +8

- Set Brightness to +40

- Set Vibrance to +20

[Photoshop]

- Capture Sharpening; USM 300%, 0.3 pixel, 1 threshold

- Creative / Content Sharpening; USM 20%, 8 pixels, 0 threshold

- Crop

- Resize to 1024 pixels wide

- Output Sharpening; USM 50 pixels, 0.3 radius, 0 threshold

- Roll back sharpening on pants with history brush

- Convert to sRGB / 8 Bit

As with any image, it's a case of personal taste - I've gone for the sharp, bright, and colourful look.

Sharpening wasn't an issue - possibly the frosting you got could have come from trying to capture sharpen after cropping and down-sizing?

Focus was good, but at 24mm on a FF camera @ F3.2, DoF was always going to me minimal from that distance (which wasn't a problem).

What do you think?

Real Name
    Ali

Hi Ali,

What do you think?
    What can I say? Wonderful.

About the workflow, I used to use vibrance and black slider more often but I guess I was overusing them and always got dark and brown skin color. That is why I am very hesitant to use it now, but I am going to try it more often now.

The problem is that without a printer nearby, and having to send everything to a shop later and wait, it is not easy to use these risky things But I guess I will have to practice and spend some more money.

You know, Colin, these days video cameras do wonderful things. Can you do a few simple video tutorials like this and post it somewhere. I know there are lots of them but in forum, we can ask you to do things we want and see them right away

Thanks again!

Real Name

Hi Ali,

No worries! (I got there in the end!).

The thing to remember is that many of the sliders interact; as a case in point moving the black slider will make the image darker - but that can be a good thing if it was too light to start with - and that depends on things like the exposure and brightness sliders. Normally I like to get the exposure and black points right before doing much else as it sets the basic contrast of the image, but you have to constantly re-evaluate it, especially if using things like the fill light control. And of course, operating from a calibrated and profiles screen needs to be a "given" for this kind of work.

Vibrance is a lot like the saturation slider, but it's designed to leave skin tones alone, but if all else fails, just use the sponge tool set to saturate in PS, and avoid any skin (you don't need to be overly precise when painting as the eye isn't very sensitive to changes in saturation over a small area) (or alternativly, saturate the entire image and then desaturate any areas of skin).

Colours like skin, sky, grass are what are called "memory colours" - our brains remember what they should look like - and so they need to be fairly close. If your a glutten for punishment, grab a copy of "skin" by Lee Varis, but be sure to finish reading those other books first!

The "Trick" to skin tones is to get the white balance right first - and that's where you really need the likes of a Whibal card for professional work; for non-professional work you'll probably find that just using an Auto WB setting is usually quite close enough.

Real Name
    Ali

Excellent points, Colin.

What do you mean by getting the exposure right. I mean how do YOU decide it is right or wrong. What are your indicators?

Also, how do you decide about that threshold of 1?

Thanks.

Real Name

Excellent points, Colin.

What do you mean by getting the exposure right. I mean how do YOU decide it is right or wrong. What are your indicators?

Also, how do you decide about that threshold of 1?

Thanks.
    Hi Ali,

In terms of RAW conversion, by "getting the exposure right" I mean pushing the histogram as far to the right as I can without clipping (ultimately I usually do clip the highlights and the shadows, but I prefer to make these final adjustments with a levels layer in Photoshop).

Re: the threshold, it's just a visual thing. Normally I use 0, but in your case it appeared to have a slightly detrimental effect on your boy's skin texture, and using 1 made it slightly better.

I think Colin ought to start his own photo editing business....

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    I think Colin ought to start his own photo editing business....
    Already got one thanks (amongst other pies I've got fingers in!)

Real Name
    Ali

Hi Ali,

In terms of RAW conversion, by "getting the exposure right" I mean pushing the histogram as far to the right as I can without clipping (ultimately I usually do clip the highlights and the shadows, but I prefer to make these final adjustments with a levels layer in Photoshop).

Re: the threshold, it's just a visual thing. Normally I use 0, but in your case it appeared to have a slightly detrimental effect on your boy's skin texture, and using 1 made it slightly better.
    Great points, Colin. Thanks!