Thread: Painting with Light

Painting with Light

Today I decided to try out a new to me technique. Painting the subject with a flashlight on a long exposure. I used a 99 cent 9 LED bulb flash light on a 9-14 second exposure. Shooting 14-42mm @ 15mm switching from f7.1-11 ISO 200. First couple of shots did not turn out as I wanted but there were elements that I liked. Here are my final compositions:

Painting with Light

Painting with Light
    I like the way the light gave it motion/explosion

Painting with Light
    Might as well add exhaust!!

Thanks
    Ryo

Real Name
    Joe Watterson

Re: Painting with Light

A Mazda rotary engine, right? Fascinating subject and lighting, whatever it is!

I actually like #2 best personally.

Real Name
    Al

We must be reading from the same page, Ryo, because I was just planning a light painting for my own Project 52 shot.

I like #2, but the bright band in the background is a real distraction. This appears to be the penlight moving around for the backlighting the interior. You can eliminate this problem by building a simple snoot for the penlight... using tape 2 flat pieces of cardboard together, and slide it over the end of the light. This will give you more highly directional light, so you can aim the penlight almost directly into the camera lens without having the light source be visible in the image. Use black tape, and cover all of the cardboard heavily enough so that your snoot doesn't glow... you just want to use the light shining through the end.

Real Name
    Mal

Where did you get your hands on a rotary cylinder cut out?

Joe: It is a Mazda Rotary!! Yeah this is going to require a reshoot, I think the composition is kinda blan. I was so caught up in getting the effect that I didn't consider composition.

Al: I caught a video on youtube showing the process. I may do the same for my project 52 I got another idea for how to set up the Rotary to make it more engaging. Good tip on the "vertical blinds" for the flashlight.

Malcolm: Not a cutout but the Short story goes; Wife has RX-8 loves it. For her birthday I purchased a 13B rotor and housing off ebay. Best part is it's powder-coated, and makes a great subject.

Thanks for the kind and helpful remarks.

Ryo

I got a chance today to revisit this project here is the result:

Painting with Light

I am getting closer to my objective picture.

Malcolm: here is an off hand pic of my subject.

Painting with Light

Wow thats a really blurred pic

Thanks
    Ryo

Real Name
    Joe Watterson

I really like Jan 15 shot - just enough light (on my monitor anyway), slightly menacing.