Thread: varying distance to main subject

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

varying distance to main subject

I have an on going debate with myself (no violence yet) about composing images with these old abandoned buildings. Are tight shots with the building dominating the image better than distant shots with more of the surrounding elements and thus more context.

Since I respect the opinions of the forum members I have posted three images with varying distance: I would appreciate peoples feelings about the merits of tight shots versus shots giving more of the immediate environment from an aesthetic or just plain whether you like the closeup more than the distant shot point of view.

Comments on shortfalls of any type: composition, processing etc are also greatly appreciated.

Real Name
    Philip

Re: varying distance to main subject

Trevor, For me, No.2 has too much uninteresting foreground, and No.3 has lost the sense of mystery of No.1 - it is just a derelict shed next to a farmer's field.

Although No.1 looks a tad under-exposed to me, and it might need a bit of perspective correction, nevertheless it is my choice.

Just my opinions.

Philip

Real Name
    Kerry

I would actually like to see these images in B&W to give a better sense of mystery - (agree with Phillip about the foreground etc) thought B&W might better capture a mysterious essence to the photo.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Phillip: I suspect you are right about the exposure, I corrected this to reduce the reflected glare from the dead dry grass but went overboard and failed to reassess the entire image. I dislike the monotone paleness of the grass, so I try to bring some colour and texture to it. Too heavy handed

Kerry: good point about the B&W. The mystery angle is a nuance that escaped me but it may actually be the main point in why I photograph these buildings. I will give it a go and see where it ends up

Great! two postings and two useful thoughts to add to the grist mill. No wonder I love this site

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

A black and white treatment. Also a different view to the others and a different crop (maybe tighter is needed?)

Critique more than welcome as B&W is not my forte

Last edited by tbob; 12th January 2012 at 02:10 AM. Reason: addendum

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Trevor,

I also think the B & W is the right road to travel down. I tend to prefer the third shot myself. Perhaps it is the trees, field and background on the right that provide some measure of depth for me. I might have opted for an angle that still incorporated the various elements but was somewhat more to the front of the structure though not directly.
    Last edited by epmi314; 12th January 2012 at 03:01 AM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Scott: I have always preferred the forty five degrees angle approach (view shot with one corner of the building perpendicular to the camera, so you have two walls) so it is very interesting to have you mention you prefer the straighter on shot. I always wonder about the relative merit of my preferred approach versus other angles. Good to have this alternative view.