Thread: 1ST insect

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

1ST insect

canon 5d 100mm macro f11 iso 400 1/1ST insect

Real Name
    Rob Douglas

Re: 1ST insect

The colors are great but I'm not so sure about the angle. The bee blends into this busy and colorful background to much from this angle IMO. Maybe from the front or side with a more shallow DOF to soften the surrounding area and bring more attention to the bee. It is a great start though, very vibrant. Maybe try toning down the leaves the bee is on and an ever so slight bit of vignette to draw your attention to the center?

Real Name
    Mal

I agree with Rob's comments. The top view of your insect makes it look very flat. A change in perspective would give your subject a more three dimensional film.

But for me, Jack, the chief reason for photographing insects is to identify them; so that is a perfect angle. ID would not be possible from a side view.

I normally take all the necessary ID angles first, then, if I get a chance, I go for something aesthetic.

Note how the longest wing vein has a slight dip, which is important; and the stigma, small slightly coloured area on the wing edge, is dark yellowish. The scuttellum (semi circular area between the wings) has a lighter edging colour.

If this was in the UK I would clearly say this hoverfly was Scaeva pyrastri; and a female because there is a gap between the eyes. But I'm not aware of it's distribution outside of the UK so it could be a related species.

And coming back to photography. Ideally, I would have shot at F14 or even F16 if possible, but not at the expense of creating too slow a shutter speed.

Is this auto or manual focus? I prefer manual which allows me to choose where I focus. Auto can often pick the wrong place; for example, focus on the background instead of the required part of a subject.

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

manual focus appreciate the comments.