Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: How to take head shots with eye detail?.

Real Name
    Mario

How to take head shots with eye detail?.

Hello. I'm an beginner photographer.

I'm about to buy a DSLR. I would like to do is to take sharp close head shoots with as fine detail on the iris as possible and also direct close up to eyes like the ones bellow. Will a kit lens be enough?. Do I need additional accessories for lighting?. Is there something special I should look for when buying the camera body?.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: Let me know if the thumbnails are the wrong size.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Re: How to take head shots with eye detail?.

Mario,

Your question is too broad. It's sort of like saying, "I'd like to get around Nürburgring in a 1:45.00, I'm just getting into racing cars. Would a nice Chevy or an Audi work? Is there anything else I need or should be thinking about?"

The first two shots you posted probably incorporated a model, make up artist, hair stylist, a highly developed photographic eye, lighting, experience, probably more lighting, post processing software, a serious working knowledge of all of the above and below, a full frame DSLR, lenses, patience, an assistant, lighting and perhaps a reputation that preceeds you. That is not to say that with work and knowledge you couldn't get something similar with less.

Photography is a wonderful journey with a huge learning curve. Start by mastering the basics. Read tutorials on this site or other good sites. There are some great books out there as well. Post your images here allow others to help you develop your skills.

There is a wide range of equipement our there. It's obvious you would like to get good a portaiture perhaps macro do you have some sort of budget set?

The journey is the fun part. Enjoy it!

Real Name
    Sam Smith, I have photo ID

I agree with Scott. There is a journey ahead and it is fun. As for the photos, I am willing to bet 1 and 2 are cgi's. 3 and 4 are true images. Just my opinion.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Mario, almost any camera can take a sharp enough picture to get you going. The majority of the result comes from the photographers skill with lighting, composition, camera technique, and post processing. The DSLR you choose should be selected more on your budget and the lenses based on what kind of photography you plan to do the most of. For what you are describing, even a Point & Shoot will get you what you need to start your training.

Real Name
    Richard

IMO, lens quality is one of the most important elements for a sharp image, including the eyes in a portrait...

Proper focus technique is also a factor. It is very easy to prefocus on a subjects eyes and then have the subject or the camera move slightly. When shooting with a very wide aperture, even a minor movement can be a critical error. Simply letting the camera decide where to focus can also be a problem if it selects the tip of the nose or an ear and you are shooting with razor thin DOF such as when wide open with an f/1.4 lens. I prefer to shoot my portraits around f/5.6 or f/8 or so...

Lighting is a factor but, not as much as is expected. I will mention that often when using continuous lights, the pupils will contract from the bright light. This is not flattering. Also, if shooting with a ringlight, you will get donut shaped catchlights which can give a spaced out look.

Finally, post processing both input and output sharpening is absolutely critical. This can be done in Photoshop, Photoshop Elements or in an add-on program like Portrait Professional http://www.portraitprofessional.com/...FQdjhwodoniFBg

Real Name
    Maria

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Finally, post processing both input and output sharpening is absolutely critical. This can be done in Photoshop, Photoshop Elements or in an add-on program like Portrait Professional http://www.portraitprofessional.com/...FQdjhwodoniFBg
    Sorry to digress... but is this post processing for improving portraits or to metamorphose people's features into somebody else's? That website looks a bit... strange.

On the other hand, software like that means you can take anybody's eyes and make them look amazing.

Pros and cons in everything, I guess...

Real Name
    Ian

Portrait Professional uses pretty advanced algorithms to minutely modify (or more!) the image. As usual, you "cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ears", but it is very useful for cleaning up an image quickly. The same can be done with CS5 and to some extent with more individual control, but a lot of portrait photographers use this software with good effect to create simple enhanced portraits.

However it is not possible to simply take anybodys eyes and make them look amazing. The subject and the photographer together with the lighting are all important along with a good MUA in creating a stunning portrait.

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mariaramil View Post
    Sorry to digress... but is this post processing for improving portraits or to metamorphose people's features into somebody else's? That website looks a bit... strange.

On the other hand, software like that means you can take anybody's eyes and make them look amazing.

Pros and cons in everything, I guess...
    Portrait professional can be over used. The user has control over just how much the logarithms impact the image.

On the other hand, I doubt very much whether you can as a rule get intense eye shots like those the OP posted without some, and possibly substantial, post processing. Many photographer's have the skills to post process using standard editing software like Photosho or Photoshop Elements but, opt to use a program like Portrait Professional because of the speed involved. When shooting professionally, time is money. Other photographers just find that they can do a better job with Portrait Professional than with the Photoshop type progrms.

I forgot to mention two things that were touched on in the above replies.

In order to have an image of eyes that is impactful, it is nice to start with a subject who has great eyes.

Additionally, as mentioned above, a skilled make-up artist really helps.

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Hi Mario,

The money is in the lens more than the camera body, you pay for good quality glass. These shots have a fair bit of depth of feild and are possibly taken with a tripod and a macro lens. They are extremely sharp and would probably not have been hand held. The models are professional and I am guessing that many photos were taken to get these few pictures. Lighting is also important, it can be natural light but you must avoid your own shadows which means standing back further to allow the light in and then cropping. We will look forward to seeing your first shots.

Wayne

Real Name
    Mario

Scott: You're right, it's a very board (Or vague) question, I didn't expected the answer to be any more specific .

Sam: They're not computer generated. I meant to link to the source in flickr for these but seems like they have been automatically overridden with a javascript viewer.

Frank: I own a Fujifilm S3300 bridge camera and I enjoy it very much. I agree than basically any camera is enough for learning including this one. However I'm planning to buy a DSLR as I find this camera limiting in low light and I would like to have RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Portrait professional can be over used. The user has control over just how much the logarithms impact the image.
    Richard: I will have those points in mind. I don't use proprietary software like the ones you mentioned because I find it morally unacceptable and being bounding to its owner is a big technical obstacle. By the way maybe you rather meant "algorithm".

WJT: Right. But there is a thing I don't understand. Why does it matters whether the models are professional?.

Thanks all you who help in this forum .

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Hacker View Post
    Scott: You're right, it's a very board (Or vague) question, I didn't expected the answer to be any more specific .

Sam: They're not computer generated. I meant to link to the source in flickr for these but seems like they have been automatically overridden with a javascript viewer.

Frank: I own a Fujifilm S3300 bridge camera and I enjoy it very much. I agree than basically any camera is enough for learning including this one. However I'm planning to buy a DSLR as I find this camera limiting in low light and I would like to have RAW.

Richard: I will have those points in mind. I don't use proprietary software like the ones you mentioned because I find it morally unacceptable and being bounding to its owner is a big technical obstacle. By the way maybe you rather meant "algorithm".

WJT: Right. But there is a thing I don't understand. Why does it matters whether the models are professional?.

Thanks all you who help in this forum .
    Hi again, it doesnt matter that they are profesional exept that they can pose and sit for long periods of time. They may be made up more or have coloured contacts etc.

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by WJT View Post
    Hi again, it doesnt matter that they are profesional exept that they can pose and sit for long periods of time. They may be made up more or have coloured contacts etc.
    Understood. Thanks again!.