Thread: Optimal Zoom Range

Optimal Zoom Range

My question relates to the references to exif data sometimes supplied with photographs.

For my Sony DSC-H1 12x optical zoom, the lens reads 1=6.0-72.0mm 1=2.8-3.7

The EXIF data for this photo following, shows 63 mm., and I would attach this to a photo sometimes on this forum perhaps. This seems a little misleading perhaps, when I read that the focal length coverge is actually 36-432mm (in 35mm equivalence).

I am new to these technicalities, but I'm thinking, does this mean I should be quoting the larger number mm as the true reading, for others taking notes on this forum?

If that is the case, how would I equate the value? It's not a mater of multiplying x 12 I know.

For example:
    Optimal Zoom Range

Optimal Zoom Range
    Last edited by Carole M; 7th January 2012 at 06:53 AM. Reason: revised wording

Real Name
    Mal

Re: Optimal Zoom Range

Quote Originally Posted by Carole M View Post
    My question relates to the references to exif data sometimes supplied with photographs.

The EXIF data for this photo following, shows 63 mm., and I would attach this to a photo sometimes on this forum perhaps. This seems a little misleading perhaps, when I read that the focal length coverge is actually 36-432mm (in 35mm equivalence)
    Based on there information you've provided it's just a matter of multiplying your camera's focal length by 6 to get the 35mm equivalent.

Re: How to refer to mm's

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcoastgolfer View Post
    Based on there information you've provided it's just a matter of multiplying your camera's focal length by 6 to get the 35mm equivalent.
    Thankyou Malcolm. Should I be making reference to 378 mm in this case, or keep to the exif-data?

Does this 378 mm equate to (much the same) someone else posting with a 400 mm lens reference then?

Real Name
    Mal

That's probably answered by someone who's been on the forums for a bit longer as I'm still new to both the forum and photography.

Personally, I think it would probably help everyone understand just how far away you really were from your subject - there's a big difference between 63mm and 378mm and I suspect you would be doing yourself an injustice unless if you didn't convert to the 35mm equivalent

Real Name
    John

Thankyou Malcolm. Should I be making reference to 378 mm in this case, or keep to the exif-data?

Does this 378 mm equate to (much the same) someone else posting with a 400 mm lens reference then?
    It does not equate, you need to use your digital zoom function on the camera to get to 378mm, you used your optical zoom to get to the 62mm. However, you might not like the quality of your shot when using the digital zoom function.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Carole, I use the H1 as well, usually when my DSLR won't reach anywhere near the 12X zoom range.

I think if you look closely at the lens it says "f = 6.0 -72.0mm...", not that that changes anything. The sensor size is listed as 1/2.4" (6.104 x 4.578 mm). As you say, the focal length equivalent is listed as 36 – 432 mm so I would agree that 63mm x 6 = 378mm in full 35mm frame terms. Near as I can tell, there is no digital zoom on the H1, the 12X is all optical zoom so we shouldn't be loosing any image quality. Many of the shots I've posted on CiC were taken with the H1 which was my workhorse until I got the DSLR less than a year ago.

Great camera!

John, thanks for your response; seems this camera doesn't have the digital zoom option.

Frank, appreciate your feedback. Good when someone actually has used the very same camera to refer to. Yes I did slip up on the f=6.0; you can see why I'm having both cataracts fixed soon.