Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Need advice on strobes

Real Name
    Christopher Wilson

Need advice on strobes

I've been looking for my first set of strobe lights to be used in home studio and for location shoots. My budget is kind of tight at the moment, I work for Kodak and we all know where that's headed. Anyway, I was looking at the Paul Buff Einsteins with the power packs. I recently ran across a deal for a brand new Profoto Compact-R 600 Light Kit and a pocket wizzard for 1300.00 but I have to act fast if I want it. Should I go for the profoto set or buy the Einsteins? My concern is battery packs for the profoto's seem to be expensive unless there are some off brand battery packs that will work with the profoto r600 lights. Also, in the future when I want to add lights I would be kind of locked in to sticking with profoto's. Am I thinking about this all wrong? The profoto's are suppose to be great lights. Is 1300.00 for this kit a good deal that shouldn't be passed up?

Two 600 Watt/Second Monolights
    Built-in Pocket Wizard Radio Slaves
    Zoom Reflectors, Umbrellas, Stands
    Sync Cord, Kit Case
    1-Pocket Wizard for Camera

Real Name
    Mark

Re: Need advice on strobes

This seems incredibly cheap to me, Profoto are one of the best brands around, but like you say, once you have them your sold into that brand so will you be able to afford to build your kit up later if you need to? if these are all youll ever need then go for it, if not find out how much the stuff normally costs and ask yourself if you can afford to buy at normal prices.

only bad point is that these strobes only have 5 stops of adjustment 10 is more normal and available in the air range.

have a read of this it might help

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=33456421
    Last edited by Mark von Kanel; 7th January 2012 at 08:42 PM.

Real Name
    Christopher Wilson

Re: Need advice on strobes

Thanks for the info. I ended up buying a set of Paul Buff Einsteins and with the power packs. Newer units, warranty, cheaper repair costs if needed etc.....