Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Old Pioneer Shack"

Real Name
    Edwin

"Old Pioneer Shack"

I came across this dilapidated old Pioneer shack on one of my trips into the Aussie countryside last week. I used a Canon 40D + Canon 70-200L IS lens , hope you like it?
    Cheers........Edwin.

"Old Pioneer Shack"

Same shack, but converted to B&W.

"Old Pioneer Shack"

Real Name
    Mal

Re: "Old Pioneer Shack"

The black and white for me - looks more interesting and ominous. Some of the areas look like they've gone a bit dark in the B&W conversion to me though so perhaps some tweaking on the blacks?

Real Name
    Myra

I like that black and white, too. The photo itself makes me curious. I really want to see if there are any old tools or pieces of wagons in that lean to section.

Real Name
    Chris

I think you are losing too much detail in the darkest part of the shadows. You might want to mask those areas and pull some of that detail back into the image, especially nearer the edges.

Real Name
    Edwin

Malcolm & Chris.
    Thanks for your comments on the black & white of the old house. This image looks great full screen on my Mac & has more detail showing in the shadowed areas. I have readjusted it using the shadow & highlighting tool in Elements. Please let me know if you approve.
    Myra, I too would love to know what old relics are hidden away inside the old house. Somehow though I don't think the property owner would approve of me poking around.
    Cheers.......Edwin.

"Old Pioneer Shack"

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Edwin

I agree with the point about trying to get a bit more detail into the very dark areas, particularly on that B & W version which I think is so full of atmosphere.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat - you could also achieve by applying a dodging technique (as in dodge and burn).

EDIT - Oh you've just done it as I was typing. But I think you could be more selective and keep the barn and the grass as they were in the original.
    Last edited by Donald; 7th January 2012 at 08:26 AM.

Real Name
    Mal

Much better I think but I agree with Donald about keep some of the elements closer to the original too.

It's just impossible to keep us all happy, isn't it?

Real Name
    Ramachandran

B&W is good. The grass and the roof could go slightly darker, which will enhance the already interesting mood.

Real Name
    Edwin

I've used the burn tool as suggested by you Donald & darkened the rusty roof & grass a tad, let me know if I've got it right this time & yes you blokes are hard to please.
    Cheers....Edwin.

"Old Pioneer Shack"

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Harvey View Post
    I've used the burn tool as suggested by you Donald & darkened the rusty roof & grass a tad, let me know if I've got it right this time & yes you blokes are hard to please.
    YES!

That, for me, packs far more of a punch. I would have liked to have made that image.

Again, the new Lightroom (just click on one of images) really comes into its own here. You can then just flick between the three versions and compare them.

Real Name
    Kevin

Wow! I didnt realize the new lightbox did that- that is a most excellent addition. A thousand times easier to appreciate the evolution of processing adjustments. Every once in a while, I love technology

Real Name
    Edwin

I almost forgot that I had a burn tool in Elements, thanks for reminding me. Now I'm aware of its presence, I'll be using it more often. You're right Donald, the revamped version definitely does pack more punch. I also have Lightroom 2, would you recommend an upgrade to 3 & why? Thanks again for your very good advise.
    Cheers.....Edwin.

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

black and white for me. good work thanks for the comparison, will help when having to make the choice b=w or color.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Harvey View Post
    I also have Lightroom 2, would you recommend an upgrade to 3 & why?
    Hopefully some of the LR users might see this and answer. I've never used it (I use the GIMP), so am not in a position to suggest whether 3 is a worthwhile upgrade from 2.
    Last edited by Donald; 8th January 2012 at 09:22 AM.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Hopefully some of the LR users migth see this and answer. I've never used it (I use the GIMP), so am not in a position to suggest whether 3 is a worthwhile upgrade from 2.
    I'm not really in a position to answer as I've only used LR 3 - never had 2. However i believe the noise reduction tools are significantly better. There's also some videos on the Adobe website that I believe highlight some of the new features.

Real Name
    Kevin

I believe Mal is correct, that a major focus of LR3 was improved noise reduction. It's not quite as potent a tool as Dfin 2.0, but it allows easier customization of outcome, and more input when deciding the grey zone between noise reduction and slight focus softening

Real Name
    Edwin

Thanks all, for your comments re; image adjustments & advise on Lightroom3.
    Cheers........Edwin.

Real Name
    Kathy

you tube also has some great video's on different features of lightroom 3

Real Name
    Wendy

Edwin, I recently upgraded from LR2. I had to in order to have support for the new camera. Noise reduction and sharpening (even though I don't know how to use it properly yet) are MUCH better. There is also a new import window with more options and I believe there is a watermarking tool in the new version and many more presets than available with version 2. The only thing that I'm impressed with, meaning I'll find it useful, is the improved NR and Sharpening. The other stuff is just a different way of doing something that was working fine to begin with.

Make sure you check system requirements though. I am finding things a lot slower since upgrading. I'm not sure whats going on, it could be something else messed up on my computer, but it seems to be a bit of a drain on resources, and I have and Intel i7 CPU and 8Gb RAM.

Wendy

Real Name
    Edwin

Thanks for that Wendy. I had a look at a few tutorials on YouTube & going by what I saw there & what you have said, I will do an upgrade to 3.
    Cheers......Edwin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast