Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New Nikon Announced

Real Name
    Maja or Molly

New Nikon Announced

Way out of my league but surely someone in CiC land will get one.

http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/0106_flagship_01.htm

Real Name
    Mal

Re: New Nikon Announced

Ah - if only money was no object!

Real Name
    Chris

Not enough value for the dollar output. Read the reviews and specs...silly waste of money unless you are a top end professional.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I have to say, I think Canon did a better job of presenting the 1Dx announcement. I was expecting a bit more to be honest.

Real Name
    Mark

Would love one of those babies! but 6K!!! think not... ill wait and see what the D800 brings before i buy my full frame...

Real Name
    Mike

It is always interesting to see the new cameras come out (even though I can't afford one). Some neat features; improved AF, AF at f8 with 11 points, it looks like Nikon may have finally got video right.
    A virtual horizon that shows the degree to which the camera is tilted sideways (roll), forward or backward (pitch) with display in the monitor and viewfinder
    This is very interesting to me, and a feature I had thought would be nice esp on entry level bodies, as I have trouble with level horizons, but it may make shooting feel a bit like flying a plane. I can't wait for some of these features to trickle down to lower end bodies.
    A concurrent announcement of a new 85 1.8 AF-S prime is of potentially more interest to regular shooters and those with entry level Nikon bodies.

Real Name
    Scott Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Would love one of those babies! but 6K!!! think not... ill wait and see what the D800 brings before i buy my full frame...
    My thoughts exactly!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

WEX Photographic (formerly Warehouse Express) has just put out an e-mail, announcing it at £4799 (GBP).

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks Donald,

Thats the US price i was quoting $ interestingly enough for once we are not being ripped off in the UK for a change. but im paid in dollars so.......
    Last edited by Mark von Kanel; 7th January 2012 at 04:12 PM.

Real Name
    Robin

1. The price is absolutely right - its a Pro camera for a Pro market - a tool to do a job in other words and if you need the tool to make a living the price is irrelevant.
    If you think its expensive then I'm sorry but it ain't for you.

2. Without wanting to cause a storm....I'm merely curious.

Colin.

What makes you think that Canon got it right by announcing a camera six months before they were going to release it and please remember that the D3s has been THE sports/photo journalist Pro machine of choice since it came out so Canon HAD to give their flagship a big jump in performance whereas Nikon just needed to refine theirs.
    This isn't a Nikon/Canon user rant. When the 1D range went FF/1.3x crop Canon pulled ahead of Nikon and Nikon were very slow in coming up with an answer. The D3 was the answer and it made every other camera look last century - the D3x on the other was a bit naff. Canon did the same with their 1Ds MKIII giving it a hell of a chip and stunted performance in every other area. Both brands have seen sense, made one body with ENOUGH pixels to do the job and concentrated on actual photographers needs - high ISO, speed, connectivity, AF capability, performance....etc

Both Canon and Nikon have gone out to the people who actually need and use their kit (not the prats who rant on dpreview) to ask them what they want - the upshot is a pair of bodies that really are very, very similar.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

If Nikon want me to buy another body; I'll take a D7100 - a D7000 with a flippy LCD - I use mine too much to give it up.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Colin.

What makes you think that Canon got it right by announcing a camera six months before they were going to release it
    Hi Robin,

I'd say that part is just marketing cat and mouse.

and please remember that the D3s has been THE sports/photo journalist Pro machine of choice since it came out so Canon HAD to give their flagship a big jump in performance whereas Nikon just needed to refine theirs.
    Hmm - I think in part, but I don't think it's the entire picture. The storm in a teacup that became the 1D3 AF fiasco is probably what started the swing towards Nikon in that segment of the market, but I suspect that the 1D4 probably stemmed the tide (to be honest, I haven't seen any hard and fast data either way). I think many would just have hung in there because of the expense of changing systems.

Before I read the specs I thought that they'd try to make it a "Canon killer", but after I read them I was left thinking "is that all there is?" - so I'm left assuming that either (a) that IS all there is, or (b) they just didn't present it very well.

No biggie (I've got a 1Dx on order anyway), but just kinda expected a bigger anouncement or better specs (in such a high stakes market).

Real Name
    Robin

I don't think we'll see a revolution in cameras for a while to come. The big chip/moderate pixel/high ISO performance is already there, its just being refined on each model. AF performance is frankly amazing now so that is incremental and again both Canon and Nikon go out and to professional photographers what they want and thats going to give roughly the same camera.

Real Name
    Richard

Calumet has a USA pre-release offer at $6,000 (USD) in case anyone has some spare change rattling around in their pockets. I looked beneath the cushions on my couch and didn't quite find enough change to buy it. But, that's OK, because I'm a Canon guy!

http://www.calumetphoto.com/eng/prod...en=Cheetahmail

However, unless Calumet is giving it at a special price at this time it seems that the D4 might be several hundred US dollars less expensive than what the 1Dx will sell for.

Real Name
    Pete

until someone reviews the 1dx and d4 none of us knows how good they are.

when the d3s came out it was assumed it was a minor update to the d3 but Nikon got a further stop of iso out of it.

specs tell you nowt.

I'm not even a Nikon user (Canon), and I feel a wee bit of lust for this one.

But maybe the 1Dx will do the same.

Glenn

Real Name
    Mark

Glen from what ive red of the spec its almost identical and just as sexy!!! im not a pro tho and the D700 does 80% of what the d3 does for half the price so im holding fire until the D800 is announced then ill make my evaluation of the 2 models and buy whichever i feel comfortable with or maybe ill just buy the D4 because i can!!!

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Mark von Kanel View Post
    Glen from what ive red of the spec its almost identical and just as sexy!!! im not a pro tho and the D700 does 80% of what the d3 does for half the price so im holding fire until the D800 is announced then ill make my evaluation of the 2 models and buy whichever i feel comfortable with or maybe ill just buy the D4 because i can!!!
    ...and a AF-S 14-24mm f2.8....and a AF-S 24-70mm f2.8....and a AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 as your lenses aren't really suitable - still if you can afford it why the hell not

Real Name
    Mark

Ahhhhh Robin thought i might bait you into a comment like that! i already own the 24-70 and the 70-200 got those for Christmas, just cant be bothered to alter my signature Now just to figure out which end i look into