Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Silver Efex Pro update - have you noticed this?

rob marshall

Silver Efex Pro update - have you noticed this?

I just installed an update (2.003) to SEP2 and after a year of running really slow, it is now flying along. I have posted a question on the Nik forum. Has anyone else loaded it yet, and have you noticed any difference?

http://www.nikforums.com/showthread....-you-guys-done

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Silver Efex Pro update - have you noticed this?

I have not noticed any increase in speed. I purchased SEP about a year ago just after SEP2 came out, and my orginal was updated to SEP2, just I recieved a notice from Nik late December that there was an update, which way to the one you stated in your post. So I have not noticed any difference bewteen SEP2 and the newest update SEP2.003.

Allan

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The only way I could get SEP2 to work was to use it as a stand alone. So, I right click on a TIFF or DNG file that I saved from the DxO Optics Pro 7 Processor and 'Open with' SEP2, thus by-passing any route via Elements, et al.

Just downloaded 2.003 and am not noticing any perceptible difference, but haven't properly put it through its paces yet.

rob marshall

Well, before today I had a timed test of invoking SEP from Photoshop (CS5) then immediately selecting a preset then clicked OK to return to PS with the conversion it would take about 40secs at least. Today, after installing the upgrade it's taking about 13secs (just tried it again). And I'm using big files - about 20MB TIFFs. The first time I rune SEP after loading PS is still slower (it always was) but even that is now down to about 25secs instead of 50secs. I presume the first run of SEP after loading PS is allocating resources because it's always taken longer. But subsequent iterations always run faster.

I have not done anything to my machine or software that could make a difference. I upgraded my machine to 12GB RAM and a new 1GB Radeon graphics card, but that was a few months ago, and SEP had (until today) still been running quite slow. It's definitely the upgrade that has done it.