Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Scanning Slides and Film - recommendations sought

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Scanning Slides and Film - recommendations sought

Following on from this thread (which I found hugely helpful and really stimulated me to act), I have been looking at investing in something to scan my old stocks of slides and negs. I have no intention (at this stage anyway) of shooting film and thus requiring the very top end scanning resources. No, this is about digitising old shots - nothing of fine art quality, but more about old memories. I want good quality. I don't need perfect.

Anyway, within the budget range I'm setting myself I'm looking at two products:
    1. Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner - £240 GBP
    2. Canon CanoScan 9000F Scanner - £199 GBP

I'd be very interested in any views anyone might have (especially users of one or other), or any comment about another one you would recommend within the sort of price ball-park.

Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Joe

Re: Scanning Slides and Film - recommendations sought

Hello Donald, I have the Epson Perfection 4180 that I purchased several years ago. In my opinion the Epson photo scanners produce excellent results. I find that scanning slide the resolution has to be 2400 dpi or above to be able to resize in Photoshop. Posted below are two slides that I scanned.

These were both scanned at 4800 dpi and resized in Photoshop.

Re: Scanning Slides and Film - recommendations sought

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    ...within the budget range I'm setting myself I'm looking at two products:
    1. Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner - £240 GBP
    2. Canon CanoScan 9000F Scanner - £199 GBP
    For many years I dreamed of scanning my slides but wanting high in quality yet being low in cash was always the dilemma. I came close of a few occasions to buying an Epson but there was always something else that swallowed my money (usually something essential to family life). From the reviews I've read the top of the range Epson, the V750 Pro, is a top-notch machine (e.g. http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/int...750/page_1.htm) but it's over twice the price of the 600V. For the same money you might be able to pick up a Nikon CoolScan V Ed on eBay.

Returning to your short list, try reading this review of the Epson V600 and then there is this YouTube comparison of your two choices.

Ken