Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Gut Conservation Area-Apsley

Real Name
    Allan Short

The Gut Conservation Area-Apsley

This is a shot I took after a couple of days of rain in the fall which added to the volume of water flowing through and over the drop. Even though it was overcaste I had to knock down the water as it still was blowing out in this light.

Allan

Real Name
    Chris

Re: The Gut Conservation Area-Apsley

Someone in an earlier thread critiqued another's work saying they had created a scene but not a composition. In this image, I think this same thread follows through. It is a nice scene which probably replicates a specific time and place, but I don't see it as a planned composition other than perhaps toning down the water and in that, I am not sure you did the scene just by a long exposure.

If you run channel histograms on the predominate reds and greens, you'll find they fall very close to each other in overall tonal value. I would go back into the green channel, do a layer duplication as B&W's then subsequent blend in soft light or overlay to push that color back a bit. For me, it is overwhelmingly too bright and I only say this because as is, I am confused as to what is the focus point: fall colors, or the water.

I didn't have much time to spend working out all the details of setting this more as a composition and less as a nice vacation scene, but as you can see by the screen shot, I was pushing some areas back, some forward in an attempt to change the focus from fall colors to the waterfall.