Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Photography Books....

Real Name
    Allen or "Lurchy" is fine

Photography Books....

Hi, i was wondering what books would be a great investment in getting to help me along with my photography. Therre is alot i can get on my kindle(best idea in reading), and was wondering what book/'s would be great for me. Got an idea of the first few books to get from Scott Kelby. And there is books that would explain certain parts of catagories, like a book on composition, book on exposure, so on so forth. Any recomandations would be great. I always read in bed when i cant sleep, so it will give me the oppertunity to read up.

Cheersd

Real Name
    John

Re: Photography Books....

If your public library has the system download to your hearts content.

Real Name
    Bill S

Allen,

Any particular category you're looking for? I end up buying lots of second hand photography books, and because I'm a big nerd, I have them all listed here if you'd like to check out the list.

Having an idea of what skill you're looking to improve might help point you to an author/publisher.

- Bill

Real Name

I'll be purchasing the books for my kindle(electronic book). And was wondering what books to get

Real Name
    Jonathan

Hello, Allen,

I have asked similar things in similar threads earlier, see here:
    A good photography book for beginner

Photography books on specific themes

As for Scott Kelby's, he has nice tips, you'll certainly learn somethings, but I think that he spends too much lines with not so nice jokes and useless comments when he tries to be very funny, what he isn't.

Real Name
    Richard

IMO, Scott Kelby, puts out some of the best photo books on the market. I am not exactly a fan of his humorous style of writing but, his information is great.

There is a plethora of free information available for the search on the Internet. Here is one site that I have recently come across...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk7IR...ature=youtu.be

B&H Photo has put out a number of very informative and free videos.

Here is another source of free short instructional videos:

http://www.prophotolife.com/video-library/

I am a great book reader and love to read. I have a great collection of modern and older photo books which I refer to often. However, I think that Google search would get me the same (and possibly more up-to-date) information as my books. OTOH, I have found it difficult to carry my computer into the bathroom where I always have at least one photo book handy.

Perhaps the most common problem for beginning photographers is exposure.

Bryan Peterson has a great one called "Understanding Exposure". It was linked to in the linked thread.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0817439390

Of course, it covers far more than exposure.

Glenn

Real Name

Thanks guys, i just purchesed scot kelbys digital photgraphy books vol 1-3 and understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson. Later on i will be getting books on photoshops and such

Real Name

well, scott kelbys books of digital photography is a great asset, although his attempt at humour isnt good. but his info on everything else is great. What i like about those books is that you can go to a specific chapter for what type of photography you want to do. And Bryan Peterson book on exposure is really great, although im bout 1/4th in the way through but i learnt alot! Great $45 AUD on those two books well spent!

Real Name
    Tom

For the most part, photography books just don't float my boat. But a couple of exceptions are "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman ( http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-...5727130&sr=1-1 ) which is one of the few books on composition that I actually enjoyed reading, and "Light -- Science & Magic" by Hunter, Biver, & Fuqua ( http://www.amazon.com/Light-Science-...5727325&sr=1-1 ), which explains everything you need to know about the theory of light. Unlike most photography books, this one is not a series of random recipes for taking particular shots -- it explains how light interacts with objects so that you can solve your lighting problems by applying the relevant principles. It is a real treasure.

Real Name
    Peter

Recommend Syl Arena's Speelighting Handbook if you are a Canon user. Very thorough and informative. I have read Syl and Joe McNally and have Syl ahead by a long way.

Real Name
    ken

2 books EVERY photographer should own and read. Both are by bryan peterson and available at amazon.com the first as sugested before is "UNDERSTANDING EXPOSURE" Bryan is a terrefic writer as well as a photographer. In plain english he will explain how apeture, shutter speeds and iso relate to each other. he will show you how to not only get the correct exposure but find the most CREATIVE exposure as well. The 2nd book is "LEARNING TO SEE CREATIVELY" This book has hit the quality of my work like an hbomb. It has opened my eyes to a world of possibilities for composition and subject matter. I reread both books every 6 months. I would love to meet him and thank him personally!!!! other than mr peterson the photographers at national geographic have a whole series of how to books out that are excellant. Just about anything from Amphoto publishing is also very usefull

Real Name
    Randy

Understanding Exposure gets my vote too. As a "beginner" I find myself returning to re-read it a lot. Then ( for me ).... the manual !!