Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Flower

Real Name
    Sean

Flower

Long time lurker and new poster. Here's a close-up of a Geranium from a recent trip to the Denver Botanic Gardens. I'm working to improve my flower macros and would appreciate comments and critiques on this picture. Flower
    Last edited by n0ct; 20th May 2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: put image inline

Real Name
    Jeroen

Re: Flower

Beautiful shot.
    I really like the watherdrops on there. Did you sprayed them on it yourself?
    Maybe you should crop of some of the right site. My eye keeps hesitating between the Geranium and the bright right site.

Real Name
    Sean

Due to the semi-arid nature of Denver, they have to irrigate the gardens, so that is water from the sprinklers.

Real Name
    Chris

I agree with JK that you could crop a bit off the right - with flowers as symmetrical as this one, a square frame seems logical. In this case maybe actually more space all round, but you have to balance that against distractions creeping in. I usually find with flower shots that it is necessary to kill a few distractions eg highlights off irrelevent background.

The other thing is that it is ever so slightly lacking contrast within the flower to give it more 3D effect, if you can find a luminosity curve, work out where the petals lie on it and steepen the curve there just a touch - but you may be correct for your particular specimen as it is.

Have also just commented on one by eNo with similar pic type Wonders in the garden